Forum Jump:

Curious question: Where do you go when you eat out?
We are empty nesters and eat out 1 or 2 times per week...maybe.  I'll put my comments at the bottom...but, I'm probably well known on here for saying chain places suck.   But, I'm curious as to what you folks do?  (I'm talking dinner here)

Do you eat out at all?  Chain places?  Mom and pop?  What makes a place good or bad?  

We've tried damn near every place in Athens...and there are only a few we frequent.   Chucks is awesome, but, I don't have Kirby's salary and can't eat there every week.  So, we frequent the following:

Tlaloc - if you haven't been...it's hard to beat (ask Toccoa).  Looks like the place you should drive by...without stopping, but, the food and portions are fantastic.  Usually get two meals each out of dinner there.   It's the best Mexican place I"'ve ever been to and it isn't close.  

Cali n Titos - Just solid.  

China 1 - Athens is a hard place to find decent Chinese.   This isn't awesome, but, it's solid takeout.  

Automatic pizza - Again, Athens sucks for pizza.  Automatic is good, but, you pay for it.  

I'll think of some more and add.
(01-23-2024, 11:28 AM)Replying to DawgNatty
Can vouch for Tlaloc messican.
Between her thighs
(01-23-2024, 12:02 PM)Replying to Tomato Sandwich

yer  best post of pay HoTD
Box lunch at the Y

[Image: 258s.jpg]

[Image: rfl_4919.jpg]
(01-23-2024, 12:08 PM)Replying to GriffWoody

this thread is fire
I'm a sushi man myself.
[Image: Girl-eating-Japanese-sushi-Stock-Photo-03.jpg]
[Image: thankstodd.jpg]
Dang, here I am trying to have a solid, clean conversation and you turkeys are eating at the Y.

My question, does y'alls wives know about this? Smile
(01-23-2024, 12:24 PM)Replying to DawgNatty

My honest answer is we eat out about twice a month, maybe, and always go local. Restaurants are way overpriced and most serve shit.
(01-23-2024, 12:24 PM)Replying to DawgNatty

No, and she would be mad as a wet hen if I woke her.  LOL. Big Grin

(01-23-2024, 12:28 PM)Replying to Tomato Sandwich

My honest answer is we eat out about twice a month, maybe, and always go local. Restaurants are way overpriced and most serve shit.
[/quote]

This could have easily been my answer and is basically the same thing I'm getting at...

The ones I mentioned above are almost wholly based on being a good value.  Automatic is the only one I'd put in the "just good" category.  It's not a great value.
We eat out at least twice a week, usually Friday & Saturday. With two teenagers and their limited palates, it is usually one of 5-6 places - Village Burger, Chickfila, Marco’s, Cava, Chipotle, or a local mexican spot (la botania, el ranchero, Hola, or Chipitoe’s)

I don't get all the "YourPie" references on TnD
How in the world do you edit a post?  Here was my reply"

Siri Thai and Mama Nings for Thai.  Mama's boy and Hilltop for brunch.  My son really likes doing Sakura Hibatchi.  We do Cali N titos one a month as well.

we are in Cumming and don't go out much (not empty nesters at this time) but we prefer no-chainis as well. A couple of messcan places.....Cumming city center has some decent places but pricey. Homestead had a good burger and sammiches when we went (Cumming City Center). Its getting harder to find places due to either poor quality, service or both. You are going to pay if you try to get good stuff...and even then it can be disappointing

(01-23-2024, 12:10 PM)Replying to Todd

mmm what is Sushi eating there?
(01-23-2024, 12:43 PM)Replying to DawgsGoneWild

Mama Nings is solid for sure.   I feel like it's not a great value based on price on portion.   It's kind of expensive and you don't get anything left over.   

I need to try Siri Thai.   

Also, I've never been to Hilltop...oddly.   It's on the list.  Mama's boy is solid as well.
(01-23-2024, 12:49 PM)Replying to DawgNatty

Mama Nings is solid for sure.   I feel like it's not a great value based on price on portion.   It's kind of expensive and you don't get anything left over.   

I need to try Siri Thai.   

Also, I've never been to Hilltop...oddly.   It's on the list.  Mama's boy is solid as well.
[/quote]

Siri Thai for lunch during the week is a good deal.  Entree, salad and spring roll for like $12.  

Hilltop is a the best brunch for the $$ on Sundays.  It is Dawg central as well.  Saw Barbara Dooley last time.  I have had numerous lunches with Josh Brooks as well for business lunches during the week and that is the go to place.  Just get a reservation.  The old Athens guard has a standing res and shows up every Sunday.  Also, during the season Kevin Butler does his Bulldawg Brunch show each Sunday with Jeff D.

Covington - Mystic Grill
Madison - Ricardo's
Lake Oconee - Lake Oconee Beestro
Watkinsville - Girasoles
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin."
(01-23-2024, 01:12 PM)Replying to mansfielddawg

Covington - Mystic Grill
Madison - Ricardo's
Lake Oconee - Lake Oconee Beestro
Watkinsville - Girasoles
[/quote]

Interesting list...Girasoles has been just average when we've been there.   I like Chops n Hops better...but, hey, I'll be the first to say our taste is different than most.   I'd rather just have good food than white tablecloths.