Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #95 – Helton Creek Falls. 579
Georgia Natural Wonder #95 – Helton Creek Falls

Well we are at the true end of our top 100 Georgia Natural Wonders and I am very partial to waterfalls. This whole Blood Mountain and Vogel State Park part of the state is hard to beat. I have mentioned this spot before on prior wonders but it deserves its own place among GNW’s. It is easy to reach and explore. I present the Helton Creek Falls.

[Image: OY6AoV1.jpg?1]
Most of today's photos are my own but I went to the net to try to find a photo that shows relationship of both falls together.

Helton Creek Falls cascades in a set of two waterfalls, sliding down in tendrils through a beautiful, hemlock-filled creek valley. The trail to these gorgeous waterfalls isn’t a long hike – in fact, the trail’s extremely short distance qualifies it as more of a short walk in the woods. But this double waterfall’s beauty makes it a fantastic, easy day hike for visitors to Helen or nearby Vogel State Park – and a makes it a great hike for families with kids and dogs.

[Image: ot6V5kC.jpg?1]

These double waterfalls, set in a lush, mossy creek valley, make for a great family-friendly hike – and the drive to the falls on a gravel road makes for a fun adventure as well. And don’t forget a snack or a picnic – this is one of those ultra-beautiful outdoor spots in Georgia that just beg you stay awhile and soak up the beauty.

[Image: INgpjIk.jpg?1]
Lower Falls

[Image: IMHUZHN.jpg?1]
Upper Falls.

Helton Creek Falls: the hike

The hike begins at a trailhead just south of Vogel State Park. The trail makes a slight elevation dive and meanders into a mixed hardwood, coniferous and rhododendron-filled forest.

[Image: xZRcuQE.jpg?1]

As the trail descends into the valley, the hike catches through-the-trees views of the upper and lower falls on the tumbling creek. Several side creeks cross under the trail, trickling downward into the mossy, rocky valley below.

[Image: HeltonCreekFalls3.jpg]
Looks like some platforms have been added to hike.

[Image: 8q1MH5N.jpg?1]
A short side trail exits to the left, descending via wooden stairs to the lower Helton Creek Falls.

[Image: AFLTAZf.jpg?1]

The lower waterfall slides down a smooth, angled rock face, spilling into a calm, clear pool of water below.

[Image: vo4tqQF.jpg?1]

Otis always looking for a spot to relax at the lower falls.

[Image: 8qsc65W.jpg?1]

My daughters at the lower falls years ago.

[Image: 27CGoOr.jpg?1]

Just a few years ago with boyfriend and Hendrix.

[Image: 2BY0VbA.jpg?2]

Departing the lower falls, the hike climbs the side path’s wooden stairs, retracing to the main trail. The forest floor flanking the sides of the creek is lush with life. Mosses and ferns thrive in the sheltered, damp valley – a brilliant green contrast to the fallen old-growth hemlock trees underneath.

[Image: 2014-08-13-15.41.46-1.jpg]
Gosh, I hope there are some trees left, lot of storms have passed since I visited.

The hike reaches the upper waterfall viewing platform at just over .3 mile.

[Image: BKKtYry.jpg?1]
TRD and family at upper falls 1990’s.

The upper falls, the larger of the two waterfalls, cascades over the curved contour of a massive rock outcrop.

[Image: RY5siVG.jpg?1]
Son and buddies.

Boulders and fallen trees line the waterfall’s base, where water collects briefly in a shallow pool before spilling downstream towards the lower falls.

[Image: qEj5E37.jpg?1]
My buddy, Sean when he could walk.

[Image: HxMeN0c.jpg?1]
My panoramic of upper falls.

[Image: 7598905354_69a080ffba_z.jpg]
Net photos. Have to get back some to capture upper part of upper falls.

After taking the time to soak up the waterfall’s beauty, the hike departs the upper falls platform, retracing its steps to the trailhead, and completing the adventure at just over a half mile.

[Image: pOvmLY4.jpg?1]
Happening spot Summertime.

[Image: OmwRMbA.jpg?1]
There is a platform there now.

[Image: ZkvaYFu.jpg?2]
You can still walk out on the rocks.

Dahlonega

From Dahlonega, take Highway 19 to Turners Corners and turn left on Highway 129. From Cleveland you just come up Highway 129. Continue past Neel's Gap (Walasi-yi) to Helton Creek Road on the right. Once on Helton Creek Road follow it for just over two miles. The parking lot is on the right.

Helen

The scenic route to Helton Creek Falls is from Helen. Take GA. 348 (Richard B. Russell Scenic Highway). At the town of Hood, go west. Follow this unnamed road. It fords two rivers and becomes Helton Creek Road. Continue down to the parking lot on left. I guess this is where the dirt road goes past the falls, hey this is a shortcut to Helen, will have to check this out.

Blairsville

The easiest way to get to Helton Creek Falls from Atlanta is via the Georgia Mountain Parkway (I-575). At Blairsville, take US 19 south to Vogel State Park. Helton Creek Road is a mile on left after the park.

[Image: BS3oQz4.jpg?2] [Image: V2ItAna.jpg?1] [Image: 8iTIuGJ.jpg?1]
Today’s GNW gals seem inspired by the falls.
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]