Forum Jump:

Ok all you Joint replacement Dawgs. Day two of getting a new left knee.
Do’s and don’t. Tricks from your experience. And of course sarcasm after all this the HOTD. Go Dawgs.
Mrs Roga has had knee and hip replacement. Her advice is work hard through the discomfort/pain in rehab . A little pain in rehab means a lot less later on and a lot better function of the replaced joints.
what Roga says, do the rehab! I stopped doing it after 3 weeks or so and lost a lot of flexibility that I otherwise would have had. they will tear you up when you go through a rehab session and just when it starts feeling better you have to do over again. ice your knee often, it really helps, I use a half & half mixture of rubbing alcohol & water in a baggie then put it in the freezer, would get slushy but hot freeze, when your done icing just put the baggie back in the freezer
Prayers.
The bride has had both knees TKR. About the same time as the first TKR, one of her friends sister had TKR. The bride went to Kennestone’s PT facility and worked hard, she would be in tears at the end of each session. (Yes, as Sugarhill said, use lots of ice!). Her friend’s sister was obese and did not want to rehab, so she came home and just laid in bed and never walked again! She died a couple years later!

At the rehab place the machine that helped the bride the most was a Total Gym, so we found a used one for $200 and she continued to use it at home. She was able to reach the bend goals on both knees and has no pain nor flexibility issues today and the surgeries were ‘05 and ‘09. Other ppl we know that have had TKRs more recently say the surgery procedures and rehab protocols have improved so that recovery is shorter but all say the same thing- do the rehab!
(02-06-2024, 07:50 AM)Replying to treeclimbindawg

don't climb trees
All said above is true. Work your knee, work your knee, work your knee. Do NOT NOT do the work. Work till it hurts that you just can't stand it and then DO SOME MORE! If not, just lay down and die. Sister in law that can barely walk cause she did not do the work and has a sister that became huge, tremendously overweight, just pitiful.

Sorry about having to have it done, but work you knee.
had total knee and shoulder replacements.  Rehab is the key.  I saved my presciption pain meds for rehab only and managed the rest of the time on tylenol as needed.  In between rehab sessions, work hard on getting your range of motion right and walk as much as possible.  They had me walking 1 hour after getting out of surgery.
Wife had TKR and she Worked hard at the rehab. 1 year and 3 mo ago - she still needs a cane to get up some stairs without a rail. She still ices her knee after a long day. It’s a lot better than it was before the surgery but it has not been a fun recovery.
One more tip from Mrs Roga. She only used her prescription pain killers on her rehab days (3 days a week) taking it about an hour before the session. This was done on the recommendation of her PT after her knee replacement and she did the same after the hip replacement about 18 months later.

(02-06-2024, 09:52 AM)Replying to Toasty B

don't climb trees
[/quote]

True.  When Mrs Roga did her rehab almost all the others doing rehab that were under the age of 45 were either Electrical Linemen or Tree Cutters.  Men aren't designed to constantly use climbing spikes.