Forum Jump:

Reading Dymwit's post about getting flooring...
The discussion about how much material and labor has absolutely skyrocketed in recent years was more central focus in my mind.

My first question that I thought.... How many of you have seen your salary go up in an equitable manner? Are you earning enough money to cover the gap that has been abruptly inserted into the cost of living formula? I sure ain't.
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
My 'cost of living' had a freeze for roughly 4 years right before the COOV, then dropped during the COOV to nearly half because the company I WAS with decided the little supplemental gubmint checks were the biggest bailouts we had ever had. Well, I just got fed up and found another job, and it was a decent step up. And about 3 months ago I got an alright pay hike,
but nothing will fix all the losses I had over the last few years altogether. I should have left my former company about 6-7 years ago, but I allowed them to string me along because I liked the production employees at the place. I was not looking out for me. Tried to be a team player and got PLAYED! The wages we get are not working because prices are climbing on everything.
(02-19-2024, 12:50 PM)Replying to FeralDawg

I am sort of in a similar situation. Except, an added factor in mine is that I have crossed the 60-year-old line of demarcation. I'll not have much chance landing an equitable job elsewhere.

My employer DOES offer some very good benefits in terms of things like vacation/time off. Their benefits, in that regard, are better than any I have ever had and any I have ever heard of, here in the U.S. at least. 

But, over the past 10 years we have been undergoing this methodical pay cut, which has come in the form of very small pay raises, or no pay raises at all. I know that in at least 4 of the past 10 years I have had a zero pay raise. The other significant factor in that is that our employer went to a self-funded health insurance plan, a high deductible plan, and they have made it truly repugnant. It is to the point that ... at least from where I am sitting, and from what I can see in front of me and everybody else... they have used it as a means of implementing pay cuts. It is to the degree that I am wondering if they're not using it as a vehicle for generating income. I mean that seriously. It's awful. It is especially awful for a gigantic global corporation.

All of it just gives me more reason to consider retirement and thinking of some way to kick the can down the road for a couple/few years before deciding to start drawing social security, just so that I can draw a better monthly amount.

All of this said in regards to my original post.... pay has not, at all, kept up with the sharp upturn in the cost of living. In fact, all things considered, we're making less money. It isn't doing too much good for my attitude, and I don't feel good about that. Maybe that is the signal that I need to go ahead and hang it up now.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
Yes, if my wife did not get a state job covering the insurance, we would be living much closer right now too. She got that job a cuppa years back and it's really saved us a lot of money.
We aren't always sick or anything but if you walk past a Doctors office you better have that debit card handy. And prescriptions for anything was out of hand. She may have to keep her job until I die, just to cover health. And there's no way anyone is getting paid enough these last 2.5 years or so to cover the increased cost of living. We are going through rebuilding the world, while paying reparations globally, and getting ready to rebuild Ukraine (watch and see) and taking care of the 3rd world all while being chastised for having a good work ethic.
(02-19-2024, 01:40 PM)Replying to FeralDawg

Perzackly. Shame on you (and all others) for being so good at building a society while idly sitting by and doing nothing when other societies don't build their own. It is all your fault and, by golly, you're going to pay the price for it.

You'll learn!!!

No, my paycheck has not kept up with all the cost increases.  Most of the time, the increase in insurance costs wipe out the raise and the government gets half the raise with taxes too.

What I have done is cut back on consumption to offset some of it.  I save a little bit from every paycheck to cover season tickets and away trips.  Instead of giving tickets away for games I don't go to, I sell them to fund away trips.  The bride and I paid our house off a few years ago so I don't owe anyone any money now.  If we need something I try to negotiate the price from a cash standpoint.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Debt is an enemy and I will do without before going into debt again.

The doctor said I needed to get more exercise so I fired the lawn cutting service when they tried to go up $10 each time they cut so I saved that money.  I also do as much maintenance on both the house and cars as my skills and body allow.  For Christmas we save cash during the year and buy a few gifts to go under the tree when there are sales.  We picked up sweatshirts for the kids for $3 at Costco this weekend.  Every other gift is cash in a Christmas card.  We buy our food in bulk at Costco and fresh produce at the grocery store.  Very little goes to waste.  I keep 6 months of food and water handy in case the world stops again.  The only charity I give anything to is animals in the form of food or pay adoption fees so hard to place pets have a better chance.  I don't trust people charities and a large portion of people receiving charity think I'm the cause of all their problems; they can rot.  

Taxes are a big problem.  I actually won my property tax appeal and my value is frozen for 3 years.  But I still pay triple what I paid when we moved into the house in the middle 00's.  I fully fund my 401k and catch up contributions and have compensation deferrals and long term incentives to help fund early retirement when Corporate America gets rid of me so I don't have to find a bridge job before I can file for SS.  I also have a HSA that is fully funded but we don't touch unless it is for an emergency (like a $10k dental implant for a broken tooth).  We paid for the kids college with 529 plans.  None of them had a $1 in debt when they graduated but were told "you are off payroll the day you graduate".  They can live at home for free while they get started and stay on our insurance until they turn 26 (family plan cost the same no matter how many kids you have) but everything else is on them.  

I get 30 days of vacation and I take all of it.  As I get older work becomes less important and creating memories with family and friends becomes more important.  We still take vacations and long weekends because the money spend is cheaper than therapy.  Overall, I'm thankful for what I have and don't let things I don't have or can't control bother me.
(02-19-2024, 01:06 PM)Replying to RockmartDawg

I am sort of in a similar situation. Except, an added factor in mine is that I have crossed the 60-year-old line of demarcation. I'll not have much chance landing an equitable job elsewhere.

My employer DOES offer some very good benefits in terms of things like vacation/time off. Their benefits, in that regard, are better than any I have ever had and any I have ever heard of, here in the U.S. at least. 

But, over the past 10 years we have been undergoing this methodical pay cut, which has come in the form of very small pay raises, or no pay raises at all. I know that in at least 4 of the past 10 years I have had a zero pay raise. The other significant factor in that is that our employer went to a self-funded health insurance plan, a high deductible plan, and they have made it truly repugnant. It is to the point that ... at least from where I am sitting, and from what I can see in front of me and everybody else... they have used it as a means of implementing pay cuts. It is to the degree that I am wondering if they're not using it as a vehicle for generating income. I mean that seriously. It's awful. It is especially awful for a gigantic global corporation.

All of it just gives me more reason to consider retirement and thinking of some way to kick the can down the road for a couple/few years before deciding to start drawing social security, just so that I can draw a better monthly amount.

All of this said in regards to my original post.... pay has not, at all, kept up with the sharp upturn in the cost of living. In fact, all things considered, we're making less money. It isn't doing too much good for my attitude, and I don't feel good about that. Maybe that is the signal that I need to go ahead and hang it up now.
[/quote]

Don't dwell on the over 60 thing, at 66 years old I was about to retire and a competitor wanted me to join their company and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, doubled my salary and made retirement way more comfortable than it was going to be. I retired for good 2 years ago and still have occasional inquires about going back to work which I don't want to do so there is a pretty good demand for experienced people. it is a good idea to network with others in your industry during your working years, it will pay off at some point.
Me and the wife are truly blessed. Both retired with the DOD, our insurance is paid up for life, Great benenfit, we were grandfathered in for they no longer offer that benefit...
(02-19-2024, 02:52 PM)Replying to Sugarhilldawg

[/quote]

Don't dwell on the over 60 thing, at 66 years old I was about to retire and a competitor wanted me to join their company and made me an offer I couldn't refuse, doubled my salary and made retirement way more comfortable than it was going to be. I retired for good 2 years ago and still have occasional inquires about going back to work which I don't want to do so there is a pretty good demand for experienced people. it is a good idea to network with others in your industry during your working years, it will pay off at some point.
[/quote]

Good word, Sugarhill.... I've thought some about looking around. Thing is, in my line of work (IT) there is a lot of competition coming from places like India and China. Also... to be honest... I'm sick and tired of this field. You can become the consummate expert in something and five years from now it is 100% no longer needed and you're just an idiot and you have to learn and master something else. Throw in all of the persistent pay cuts through various means, I have no desire to do anything beneficial for these jokers. They can hire themselves a load of folk in said places and I'll just ride off into the sunset.

One thing this has done is it has forced me to live one day at a time, and live every day as it could be the last one. That's how we should all live, regardless of economy or job circumstances. So, that's been a good thing. Thing is, in that happening it has placed my focus and priorities on things that make me want to hang it up even more so. With grandkids being such a factor these days, that's been a big draw, as has been my getting further involved in things through our church, helping people who genuinely need help in ways more than just monetary things.

So it continues... literally... one day at a time. Things could change at the drop of a hat, and I'm totally cool with that. Brang it on!

(02-19-2024, 06:33 PM)Replying to ugafan49

Blessed, indeed. I'm looking forward to getting on Medicare just to be able to get off of this garbage we have through my employer.

(02-19-2024, 02:45 PM)Replying to redpantsdawg

You've definitely done the right things to get where you are. I've been choppin' wood, as they say, toward getting my mortgage paid off. I went through a REAL "Great Reset" in my 40s, going through a divorce AND a job loss, and literally starting all over. God has been good to me... VERY good to me... in getting me to the point where I am, currently. It is taking me a wee bit longer than the average bear to get a few things ticked off of my list. But it is most definitely happening, and He has done great things for me and us along the way. 

I'm saving in ye olde 401k, too, and have even taken steps in moving a load of it toward something that makes more money with safety to not lose money at the same time. I've not done bad, to be honest, especially for someone in my set of circumstances. This wild inflation, though, is not what I had expected. Time will tell just how bad it will upset things... or not.

Corporate America sucks, period. Companies are slaves to the shareholder. I’m in your shoes with the inflation conundrum. I had that conversation with my manager a few months back. I’ll see if it pays off next week with the annual review.

You may have also read my company car issues last week. If not, I pay $200/mth for company car that has included a gas card for all use the past 7 years, personal and business. Well, gas card has now been taken away and we pay for gas out of pocket and reimbursed for business miles only. Guess what I’m still required to pay, $200 for “personal use.” Said the $200 is for maintenance, insurance, etc. My rebuttal is, you get the write-off on taxes, I don’t. They also want us to use an app that can track our driving 24/7. I told them no thanks, I’ll turn in my mileage with a map of where I’ve driven. F’em.

Loyalty is no longer rewarded - I found that out the hard way several years ago when I was laid off. I now have zero loyalty to my company. If a better offer presents itself, I’m gone with no consideration for any employer. Jaded? Maybe, but it is God & Family…company is faaarrrr down the list.

[Image: 258s.jpg]

[Image: rfl_4919.jpg]
(02-20-2024, 07:54 AM)Replying to GriffWoody

That is completely true. Company loyalty, anymore, is to the short term $$$. The employee falls down the list of priorities. Interestingly, they give a lot of lip service by saying things like, "People are our service", and pushing buzzwords like "well-being" and routinely chiming about it. But practice shows that it is only just that, lip service. 

They don't have the foresight to consider the long term in ANY decisions made. They figure they'll just cross that bridge when they come to it and they'll deal with any repercussions, then. They don't like it, though, when employees put self and family in front of their job. I think that it is poetic justice in that they have put so much into hiring people in places like India, China, etc., and they have found that jobs, there, are the absolute revolving door, as people come into a job, get experience, certifications, etc., and then quite soon move on to a better paying job. They repeat the process with their new job, doing all they can do to move up the chain, so to speak, increasing their income. It is a very wide-open job market, and western corporations are finding that there is a LOT of instability due to that factor. 

I guess that puts them back into the western job market, and they want to spend as little money as possible, and they're disappointed when they don't get people knocking their doors down to fill openings.

I'm to the point in my "loyalty" that I have no reservations, whatsoever, to resign with no notice given. If/when circumstances reach a point that I'm just not going to do it anymore, I'll walk that very day, if necessary. Company loyalty, in my personal view, also no longer exists.