Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #237 - Mistletoe State Park - Coulmbia County (Part 2).
Georgia Natural Wonder #237 - Mistletoe State Park - Coulmbia County (Part 2)

We left the suburbs of Atlanta, Hall and Coweta County, to go down to Irwin County for a more Historical, than Natural Wonder. On this post we trek back to Augusta and Clarks Hill Lake for another Georgia State Park. I wanted to exhaust these State Parks as Natural Wonders since the State Government deems them worthy of State Park status. They have proved to be great camping and recreational spots with some history mixed in, sometimes as main attraction. There are only a few left as we just covered the two newest. Today we feature Mistletoe State Park in Columbia County. 

[Image: ZKHBrv3.jpeg]

We came to Columbia County early in our Forum (GNW # 52) as we listed all the National Natural Landmarks in Georgia. There are 11 of them, and Heggies Rock is in Columbia County.

[Image: kBOdQVU.jpg?1]

Now just go that post for more details, we are here today for the State Park. We did a history tangent on Columbia County but it proves deficient by recent GNW standards. We did not feature the National Register of Historic Places listings, Historical Markers and War Memorials, Communities, or Notable People in Columbia County, Georgia. So in addition to the State Park Wonder, we do a second tangent on Columbia County 185 Wonders later (228 Post).

Mistletoe State Park

From Georgia State Parks official site - Mistletoe State Park is a 1,972 acre Georgia state park located northwest of Augusta, Georgia on the southern shore of Clarks Hill Lake. 

[Image: TocYgRZ.jpeg]

The park gets its name from Mistletoe Corners, a local area where people gather to pick mistletoe during the winter holiday season. 

[Image: dJ0Tzvt.jpg] [Image: 2WXHIlC.jpg]

Its strategic location on the lake makes it one of the finest bass fishing spots in the nation.

[Image: iFlidnP.jpeg]

 The park also offers public beaches and 8 miles of nature trails.

"Discover the best bass fishing in the area and water sports on Georgia’s largest reservoir or, relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature on the forested trails, winding creeks and scenic shoreline of Mistletoe State Park."

Located on 71,100-acre Clarks Hill Lake near Augusta, this park is known as one of the finest bass fishing spots in the nation. Boat ramps provide easy access to one of the Southeast’s largest lakes. During the summer, guests can cool off at the sandy beach or on miles of shaded nature trails. Many programs are hosted throughout the year, such as astronomy programs, concerts and nature walks. Bike riders who explore this park can join the Muddy Spokes Club.

[Image: E2H0bVn.jpg]

Mistletoe State Park has 10 fully equipped cottages on the lake, five of which are log cabins. The campground is situated on a peninsula, offering spectacular views of both sunset and sunrise over the open water. A four-bed tent cabin with electricity and water faces the lake. 

[Image: wg1gbx7.jpg] [Image: 1yLCG3o.jpg] [Image: 1MWB5XD.png]

Overnight guests may rent canoes to explore the large lake.

Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities

10 Cottages
1 Fisherman's Cabin – with private dock
1 Tent Cabin
93 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites — some sites seasonal
4 Walk-In Campsites
3 Backcountry Campsites
1 Pioneer Campground (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
5 Picnic Shelters (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.) — call park to reserve #5
1 Beach House (seats 75. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
3 Boat Ramps
Sand Beach — seasonal
Wi-Fi — available in park office

Things To Do & See

On-road biking on paved park roads and off-road on all park trails. 

[Image: Gcqaksc.jpg] [Image: gy8QD5g.jpg] [Image: fD3eME1.jpg]

We do not offer bike rentals, but feel free to bring your own bike and safety gear and enjoy a ride.

Explore 1920 acres of park property and shorelines of Clarks Hill Lake for native and migratory birds. 

[Image: dSEY6Yd.jpg] [Image: ywZ1dpH.jpg] [Image: SXELFc3.jpg] [Image: rMOOUqz.jpg]
Woodpecker - Rose Breasted Grosbekln - Owl - Geese.

Birds you may spot at Mistletoe State Park include Blue Herons, Songbirds, Red Tailed Hawks, Woodpeckers, Canada Geese and Turkey Vultures.

[Image: nMZBnzX.jpg]
And the State Bird of Georgia, the Brown Thrasher.
Access to 72,000 acre Clarks Hill Lake from any of our three boat ramps. There are no motor limitations on Clark’s Hill Lake. 

[Image: TK04MQY.jpg] [Image: ktSsMmw.jpg]

You can use either a Georgia or South Carolina fishing license while fishing on Clark’s Hill Lake. Clark’s Hill Lake is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers.

[Image: l1xNfbz.jpg] Boat Parade Donald Trump.

Mistletoe is on Georgia’s largest reservoir, 1,920-acre Clarks Hill Lake, with quite a variety of species: largemouth, hybrid and striped bass, channel, blue and flathead catfish, bluegill, shellcrackers, black and white crappie, white and yellow perch, and chain pickerel. Invasive spotted bass are showing up in the lake now, so harvesting this species is encouraged by DNR. 

[Image: cN67eZ8.jpg] [Image: CGf2xMT.jpg]
Rodeo's for little Dudes.

The park’s location on the south side of the Big Creek arm is noted as a good area for fishing, and the lake has a reputation for its healthy populations of largemouth, hybrids and stripers, bream and catfish. 

[Image: MktDDba.png] [Image: NaToJzZ.jpg]
Getting serious fishing too.

Angling for crappie, bluegill and shellcrackers is also good, particularly during the spring. The park has three boat ramps and plenty of shore access for fishing.

Mistletoe State Park offers 15.5 miles of trails at various difficulty levels. From short nature walks to camping in the backcountry, Mistletoe State Park has something to offer every hiker. 

[Image: AM2sPWk.jpg]

While all trails are multi use for hiking and biking, bikers must yield to hikers. Three back country campsites are offered on the Rock Dam Trail, these sites must be reserved in advance.

Cliatt Creek Nature Trail Loop

This 3.75-mile trail has a maximum grade of 25% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed white. Parking and the trailhead are across from the office next to an information kiosk. The trail soon crosses a paved road, descends to the Cliatt Creek, follows the creek and then ascends and crosses a second paved park road. 

[Image: rkpm6uA.jpg] [Image: 5INgp9H.jpg]

It continues its upland loop back to the office. This area was originally fields of cotton, corn and tobacco grown in rotation. Now fields are replaced by pines, oaks, sweetgum and beech. Stop to enjoy the cool temperatures and beauty along Cliatt Creek. In spring you may see a rare silky camellia in bloom. Along the uplands section of the trail, you are likely to see deer.

[Image: GMCUlCO.jpg]

Trail is very nicely set up with a manicured walkway and viewpoints. Informative notes are placed along the trail about the wildlife and landscape. Nice easy hike.

Canyon Trail Loop

This 1/3-mile trail has a maximum grade of 10% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed red and white. This is a loop trail off the Cliatt Creek Trail. Begin on the Cliatt Creek Trail between the office and the nature center. Follow the Cliatt Creek Trail (blazed white) behind the office for 1/10 mile. Watch for the Canyon Trail Loop red and white blazes to your right. 

[Image: Qa9nfx4.jpg] [Image: cE3Zum1.jpg]

Along this loop you’ll come to a canyon caused by water run-off from poor farming practices in the 1920s. 

[Image: hDKzotf.jpg] [Image: pxT6qk0.jpg] [Image: 8KuBu9P.jpg]

This is a good spot for a photo and to rest on benches.

Office Trail

This 1/2-mile trail has a maximum grade of 10% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed deep pink. This is a connector trail off the Beach Trail. From the Beach Trail, look for a sign designating a right turn onto the Office Trail. The Office Trail merges with an old dirt road, crosses a paved road and dead ends at the Cliatt Creek Trail (blazed white). Follow the Cliatt Creek Trail 1/4 mile back to the office. 

[Image: S3peeZ6.jpg] [Image: GmrFRcg.jpg]
Boulders, Wooo!

The beginning of the Office Trail is in deep woods and a good place to see deer, squirrel, and other woodland animals.

Beach Trail

This 1.9-mile trail has a maximum grade of 20% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed yellow. It begins just southwest of the campground opposite the dump station. Here it is blazed both yellow and white because it runs with the Campground Loop Trail for 3/4 mile. At the 3/4 mile point, the Campground Loop Trail turns right (west, white blaze only) while the Beach Trail (now blazed only yellow) continues straight south and then turns east to the beach. 

[Image: EknYQNx.jpg]

The Beach Trail provides a scenic way to access the beach. It goes through pines and hardwoods, across a bridge, then crosses a paved road and terminates at the beach. You’ll catch glimpses of the lake, sharp eyes will spot mistletoe high in trees. This is a good place to look for songbirds and woodland animals.

Campground Loop Trail

This 1.5-mile trail has a maximum grade of 15% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed white. The Trailhead is just southwest of the campground opposite the dump station. Here it is blazed both yellow and white because it runs with the Beach Trail for 3/4 mile. 

[Image: uxfZ09S.jpg] [Image: wAMMsnc.jpg]

At the 3/4 mile point, the Campground Loop Trail turns right (west, white blaze only) while the Beach Trail (now blazed only yellow) continues straight. The Campground Loop Trail crosses a paved road and continues through a stand of American holly, descends to the lake, crosses a tributary by footbridge and back up to the campground. This heavily used trail offers opportunities to view both woodland and lakeshore wildlife.

Rock Dam Trail

This 6.25-mile trail has a maximum grade of 25% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed blue. The Rock Dam Trail requires 4 stream crossings and is the park’s most challenging trail. To access this trail, start at the parking area across from the office to the left of an information kiosk. Follow the Cliatt Creek Trail (blazed white) across the paved road and descend to the Cliatt Creek. Now look for the Rock Dam Trailhead (blue blaze) on your right. 

[Image: 3v8xDHt.jpg] [Image: umzxMXV.jpg]

Follow the blue blazes across the Cliatt Creek in a counterclockwise direction. In about 1.5 miles you will come to the intersection with the Rock Dam Return Loop Trail. To return to the office, follow the Return Loop (blazed red and blue) or continue on the Rock Dam Trail across the scenic Rock Dam and back to the office via the Cliatt Creek Trail. 

[Image: LoswyQs.jpg] [Image: xOOzKvx.jpg]

The Rock Dam Trail runs into a deep ravine, near the highest point in the park (465 feet), and allows maximum opportunity to see wildlife and wildflowers. Refer to the map frequently and know where you are at all times.

[Image: BC1AQf2.jpg]

Really stunning nature. Scenery changes make this hike interesting. Beautiful creeks and small waterfalls. Small gorge before reaching site.

[Image: 1ZLpoKL.jpg] [Image: Q0IfrgF.jpg]

Absolutely amazing! Water crossings, beautiful lake, campsites, nooks, small waterfalls, rock formations, deer, wildlife everywhere, moderate grades.

Rock Dam Return Loop Trail

This 1-mile trail has a maximum grade of 15% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed red and blue. This is a shortcut on the Rock Dam Trail. It begins about 1.5 miles from the Rock Dam Trailhead. The Return Loop Trail is an old dirt road. Follow the red and blue blazes (north) and turn left (west) when you see blue blazes on your left. This is a wide trail and you may see plants and animals that prefer woods near open areas.

[Image: 6bWSeVn.jpg] [Image: r36obaq.jpg] [Image: QnTkMld.jpg]

Caution: the old road which makes up the Return Loop Trail continues past the intersection with the north portion of the Rock Dam Trail. If you no longer see red and blue blazes, you have gone too far.

Cottage Trail

This 1/3-mile trail has a maximum grade of 25% in 200 feet. The trail is blazed orange. This is a spur trail to the Beach Trail. From cottages 1-5, follow the paved road toward the park exit. The Cottage Trailhead is about 1/4 mile from the cottages on your right (north). Look for a trail sign and orange blazes. This trail is short but descends steeply to a bridge, across a stream, and up a gentler slope to the beach trail (blazed yellow). 

[Image: 3rKeo6z.jpg]

Turn right (east) following the yellow Beach Trail to the beach area. From the cottages to the beach is 1 mile one way. The stream crossing is a good place to see wetland animals.

Mistletoe State Park offers a public swimming beach. 

[Image: ZNxL9Rv.jpg] [Image: W6zCjEI.jpg]
No Alligators!

Campers and cottage guests may also swim at their sites.
Paddling - rentals available to overnight guests.

[Image: Kqu0P2z.jpg]

Mistletoe State Park offers seasonal kayak rentals to overnight guests only. Visit park office for more information and to rent. $30 per day for each rental.

[Image: TocYgRZ.jpg]

We came to Clarks Hill Lake when we featured Elijah Clark State Park as Georgia Natural Wonder #219 . We talked about how the graves of Elijah and Hannah Clarke were first moved from their original burial places near Graball, Georgia (10 miles North) to a site on the Community House Grounds in Lincolnton, Georgia in 1952 to prevent inundation by the Clarks Hill Lake. Following the establishment of Elijah Clark Memorial State Park by Legislative enactment, the graves were removed to the present site in 1955 by special dispensation of the Army Corps of Engineers.

[Image: CcQXJWH.jpg?1] [Image: ERI9jOR.jpg?2]
Clarke Grave Clarke Hill.

We made a big tangent on the Life of Elijah Clarke and John Dooly whose cabin was nearby when he was murdered by Tories. Not a lot to add about Clarks Hill Lake.

[Image: 4sWY69l.jpg] [Image: jNuB3aq.jpg] [Image: sbd7h95.jpg]
The campground is situated on a peninsula, offering spectacular views of both sunset and sunrise over the open water.

Columbia County (Part 2)

Again, this is the second part of a tangent on Columbia County. The first was (GNW #52). So here we go 228 post later.

National Register of Historic Places listings in Columbia County, Georgia

Augusta Canal (Columbia County Portion)

Along the west bank of the Savannah River from the Richmond-Columbia county line to 10th and Fenwick Streets.

[Image: G7LDBm9.jpg] [Image: SlHi841.jpg]

From the Head-gates down to the County Line gates are considered Columbia County. The vast majority of the Augusta Canal would be considered Richmond County. We covered the Augusta Canal as a whole other Georgia Natural Wonder witn (GNW #57).

 [Image: X3W7xsv.jpg]
1st gate at County Line.

[Image: rovLPvR.jpg?1]

EXPLORE THE HEADGATES – In 1845 the first water flowed through the Augusta canal headgates into the first level of the canal. The second and thrid levels were completed in 1848. In 1875 the enlargement was complete leaving the canal in the state it is today. At the headgates you can see the historic building and the gorgeous rapids of the Savannah River. There are even love locks on the gates, reminding me of Paris!

[Image: ipa0mtI.jpg?1]

[Image: TPBUfM1.jpg?1] Canal side of Head Gates.

[Image: k2q7vNM.jpg?1] Savannah River Rapids.

[Image: lXf2bzu.jpg?1] Trail between River and Canal in Columbia County.

There is plenty of parking at the Savannah Rapids Park. The Augusta Canal Trail starts (or ends) here. Sidewalks and a grass slope provide seating for spectators and easy access to the canal for boaters.

[Image: xQTI4j1.jpg?1]

Columbia County Courthouse (Appling, Georgia)

The Columbia County Courthouse in Appling, Georgia is a building from 1812 with extensive additions made to the structure in 1856. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

[Image: 5ELIXpb.jpg]

It is a two-story building with Italianate brackets at its eaves. John Trowbridge is identified as its architect/builder.

[Image: 4rBg1by.jpg] [Image: 9aRCqGS.jpg] [Image: l3DHi71.jpg]

As of 1980, the courthouse's condition was identified as "good", it was in use by the county, and there had been plans by the county government to restore the building.

[Image: qQU7Wyh.jpg]

Appling Is a very small community; the courthouse is by far the most Interesting building. It is a threatened building for it is too small for county needs; only the county commissioners, the registrar and the tax assessors' offices remain in the building. It is one of a half dozen 1850 courthouses remaining in Georgia and its simplicity, yet sophistication make it a significant structure.

[Image: bFkqyhv.jpg] [Image: yk3WDaP.jpg] [Image: GgESTTK.jpg]

The blocky two-story building has flat arched windows. The cornice features Italianate brackets. On.the interior, 'hurricane 1 bolts have been added to strengthen the building. Pressed metal ceilings are both upstairs and down. The courtroom is small; a simple entablature and engaged columns frame the judges' bench.

[Image: 5CeAY6m.jpg] [Image: 4HAfcpC.jpg]
Fixing the old Courthouse in Appling. The new Courthouse is in Evans.

Kiokee Baptist Church

The Kiokee Baptist Church in Appling, Georgia is the oldest continuing Southern Baptist congregation in the state. The church building was built in 1808. Its founder, Daniel Marshall, was the first great Baptist leader in Georgia. Kiokee Baptist Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

[Image: xKVw5kw.jpg]

The exterior is notable for its Flemish bond brick walls of handmade brick, stone lentils (now covered with concrete) above the doors and windows and a gable roof with eaves that flair upward slightly. Under the eave is a simple, boxed, wood cornice. Windows are twelve over twelve lights with wood shutters. Walls are three bricks thick. The three entrances all have six-panel doors that appear to be of a recent date but which have the original hardware on them. The present roof is cedar shingle. A concrete border has been put around the lower four feet of the exterior walls in recent years. The entrance steps and sills are roughly cut stone. A round window with slats is located in each gable.

[Image: eGGM4Cv.jpg] [Image: iMwBadV.jpg]

The interior is one room with a rear balcony. The frame vaulted ceiling is supported by two 40 foot beams measuring approximately 12" x 10" and each is hewn from a single timber. All interior woodwork is hand-hewn from heart pine. The walls are plaster with paneled wainscoting. The pulpit is supported by seven-sided pilasters connected by a paneled section. There is a window directly behind the pulpit that is built on a higher elevation than the other windows. Floors are various width hand-hewn pine. Pews on the main floor are handmade. 

[Image: b4cFKV4.jpg]

The balcony is supported by twelve hand-hewn pillars. The first four (nearest the pulpit) are seven-sided and the other eight are square. Two straight-run stairs ascend to the balcony, one flanking each side of the west doors or rear entrance. The bannister is solid with a curved end. At the balcony level, there is a four foot balustrade with straight, square rails. Wooden pegs are visible on the ceiling.

[Image: y5r6him.jpg] [Image: pcE6IGZ.jpg]

The Kiokee Baptist Church is significant as the earliest extant structure of the first Baptist congregation in Georgia. Also, its architecture is a fine example of frontier building with its handmade components and refined details. The Kiokee Baptist Church was the first Baptist congregation organized in Georgia. Its founder was Reverend Daniel Marshall. Marshall, born in Windsor, Connecticut in 1706, had been a missionary to the Indians in Pennsylvania, Virginia and North Carolina before moving to Georgia in 1771. He established the first Baptist church in Georgia in 1772 near Kiokee Creek in Columbia County and was soon after arrested for preaching the gospel in St. Paul's Parish contrary to the established tenets of the Church of England. He continued with the Kiokee Baptist Church and built the first meeting house where the town of Appling now stands. In 1789, an act was recorded "incorporating the Anabaptist Church on the Kiokee in the county of Richmond." About this time, a second meeting house was erected, called Marshall's Meeting House. By 1806, the second building was in great disrepair and the church members, in 1806, decided to build a new one. Three thousand three hundred and ninety-nine dollats was raised to pay the costs. 

[Image: 9f7T6re.jpg]

The brickwork was done by a Mr. Danielly and the woodwork by Hezikiah and John Boyd. The land was given by the sons of Daniel Marshall. The building was completed by early 1808. The-church records describe the plan for the building and the building appears today to be exactly to their specifications: "It shall be 60 feet long and 40 feet wide built of good well burnt bricks, it shall be the length of three bricks thick from the foundation to the sleepers, which shall be two feet and a half above the surface of the length of two bricks thick from the sleepers up to the joists fifteen feet in the clear gable ends and shall be the length of one brick and a half thick, it shall have three large doors and fifteen windows, four on the front side and four in the back side and two on each end consisting of twenty four lights each, two large round windows in gable end, and a small window above the pulpit. The roof shall be a principal roof made of good heart shingles..." This building was used until 1827 when a new one was constructed in the town of Appling. The 1827 building was destroyed by a tornado in 1875 and the congregation met in the courthouse until 1907 when they acquired the abandoned Methodist Church in Appling. It was used until 1937 when the present New Kiokee Baptist Church was constructed in Appling, which is still in use. The Old Kiokee Baptist Church is still used by the congregation for homecomings, baptisms and other special occasions and is in an excellent state of preservation.

[Image: cmfaPfe.jpg] [Image: NddeFO5.jpg]

The history of the Kiokee Baptist Church congregation and its ministers has been studied in depth by many scholars and a notable book published by James D. Mosteller entitled A History of the Kiokee Baptist Church in Georgia. The first minister, Daniel Marshall, is given much credit, not only for establishing the first Baptist Church in Georgia but also for establishing numerous other churches in Pennsylvania, Virginia,North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, for serving as a missionary to the Indians and for presiding over the first meeting of the Georgia Baptist Association around 1784 at Kiokee Meeting House. He was succeeded at Kiokee by his son Abraham Marshall, who served from 1784 until 1819. It was during Abraham's tenure that the Old Kiokee Baptist Church was built (1808). One of the most notable contributions of Abraham Marshall was the establishment of the first Negro Baptist Church in Georgia, done while at Kiokee in 1788. An acquaintance of Marshall wrote an account of this event: "In one of his excursions down the country, in the suburbs of Savannah, not far from where once stood Whitfield's famous orphan house, Mr. M., in one day, baptized forty- five persons of color, formed them,with others previously baptized, into a church, and ordained Andrew Bryan as their pastor." This was in 1788. Thus arose the First African Baptist Church in Savannah. (First Bryan Baptist Church is what is referred to here and it is a National Register site.)

[Image: CAKxMpv.jpg]

The last minister to preach in the 1808 building was Jabez Pleiades Marshall, who served from 1819-1832 and was the son of Abraham Marshall. He served as clerk of the Georgia Baptist Association from 1819 to 1832 and also began the work of writing the history of the Georgia Baptist Association, completed by Jesse Mercer in 1838. He is buried at the old church and land in his estate at his death was given to the church. His death ended 60 years of service to the Kiokee Church and the Georgia Baptist Association by the Marshall family - father, son and grandson.The architecture of the Old Kiokee Baptist Church is simple and rather austere but has fine details considering its frontier location at the time of its construction.

[Image: wv7rBIL.jpg] [Image: aGluEAm.jpg]

Of particular note are the hand-hewn, seven-sided pillars supporting the balcony, the intricate Flemish bond brick pattern of the exterior walls, and the panelled wainscoting. In addition to the significant history of the congregations, the craftsmanship and design of the building, its excellent state of preservation and its early building date add greatly to its significance. In addition, it has little to intrude on the visual integrity. A recent frame amphitheatre sits beyond the church in the woods but it is barely visible from the church clearing and its rustic design is such that it is not incompatible, though it has been excluded from the boundaries of this nomination. The baptismal, a small, unpainted wood structure with a pool, is located about 150 yards to the north. The date of construction of this facility is not known but appears to be well over 50 years old and is an integral part of the site and is still in use. It may not be the original baptismal, since the church itself does not contain a baptismal and since the location of a spring at the site gives a natural source of water for the pool. The baptismal building is a one-story, one room frame structure that is weatherboarded.

Stallings Island

Stallings Island is an archeological site with a large shell midden, located in the Savannah River near Augusta, Georgia. The site is the namesake for the Stallings culture of the Late Archaic period and for Stallings fiber-tempered pottery, the oldest known pottery in North America. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1961. Stallings Island pottery found in coastal Georgia was formerly called St. Simons pottery, but is now recognized as Stallings Island.

[Image: rIiE8mC.jpg?1] [Image: 0tPvsfX.jpg?1]

One of the oldest archaeological sites in the nation can be found on Stallings Island in Columbia County.

[Image: VATHtmn.jpg?1] [Image: 4DpIlrm.jpg?1] [Image: 77DQkMh.jpg?1]

Description and history

Stallings Island is located upriver of Augusta, in an area known as the Ninety-Nine Islands, just downriver of the mouth of Stevens Creek. The island was occupied from about 2600 B.C.E. to about 2000 B.C.E., and again from about 1800 B.C.E. to 1400 B.C.E. The site was occupied during the first period by people of the Paris Island (ca. 2500-2200 B.C.E.) and Mill Branch (ca. 2200-1800 B.C.E.) phases, pre-ceramic traditions that harvested large numbers of freshwater mussels. During the second period the site was occupied by people of the Classic Stallings culture, who used decorated pottery. The earliest, undecorated, Stallings ceramics first appeared at other sites while Stallings Island itself was unoccupied. The site represents a transitional period, in which hunter-gatherer culture was gradually replaced by more sedentary village and agriculture-based lifestyles.

[Image: BWs3Alv.jpg]

The island was identified as an archaeological site in 1861, and has been the subject of several scientific excavations. It has also been subject to extensive looting, and was listed for many years as a threatened landmark. The island was acquired by the Archaeological Conservancy in 1998.

Stallings Island Middle School in Martinez, GA was named after this site.

Woodville (Winfield, Georgia)

Woodville in Winfield, Georgia is a building from 1814. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

[Image: X6kh43z.jpg]

It is one of a few surviving plantation-style old homes in Columbia County.

[Image: IMLABlK.jpg] [Image: 2XE4kos.jpg]

The builder was from Columbia County, Winfield area. He built the earliest section of the fantastic Woodville plantation house and is the same man who built the Dr. James E. Hamilton House, 1858, in Athens. That has been home to the Alpha Delta Pi sorority since 1939. It was built for Dr. James E. Hamilton before the Civil War but the ornamental ironwork, ordered from England and delayed by Union rail blockades, was not installed until after the war ended.

[Image: BE1ulaS.jpeg] [Image: rNCpCFD.jpeg] [Image: FnricQG.jpeg]

The was a video touring the house, otherwise we can not find information about this home.

[Image: 8lthkLi.jpeg] [Image: cD54dAX.jpeg] [Image: TeIP0Pj.jpeg] [Image: LEMrvEY.jpeg]
Excerpts from video.

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Columbia County, Georgia

There are 18 Historical Markers and War Memorials in Columbia County.

Columbia County

[Image: YLk0RlF.jpg]

[Image: qEHIhTZ.jpg] [Image: R7bS36n.jpg]
Marker location at old Columbia County Courthouse in Appling.

First Baptist Church in Georgia

[Image: gcaq8Ou.jpg] [Image: vkGCBXA.jpg]
First Baptist Church in Georgia Marker as seen along Ray Owens Road northbound. First Baptist Church in Georgia - Kiokee Church.

Rev. Daniel Marshall

[Image: L9Hy0Tr.jpg]

[Image: zNoXbjU.jpg] [Image: taRRVGG.jpg]
Rev. Daniel Marshall Marker, as seen along US 221, Appling Harlem Road in Appling.

Jabez Pleiades Marshall

[Image: KvnqaTw.jpg] [Image: kQ0peGP.jpg]
Son of Daniel Marshall. Monument at grounds of Kiokee Church.

Religious Liberty in Georgia

[Image: YUFq6cd.jpg] [Image: HvEiLT9.jpg]
Monument at grounds of Kiokee Church.

Woodmen of the World Veterans Monument

[Image: YRzcvo7.jpg] [Image: E8xmxcA.jpg]

In Sacred Memory of the Men of Columbia County Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice

World War I

Barney Bivins, John Burnett, Doughty Jansen, Selwyn Williamson

World War II

Daniel W. Cason, John B. Crawford, Thomas W. Smith, Robert Bryan, Fred Malone, George R. Vaughn, Walter J. Fullbright, Jr., Emmel W. Mundy, Charlie C. Snellings, Clyde Pardue, Jr., Frank Kauffman, Willie S. Sweatman, Harold E. Reid, Perry L. Crapps


Corydon W. Benton, Delmas McNeal

"Time Shall Not Dim the Glory of Their Deeds."

Grovetown Centennial Monument

[Image: kHn6pwu.jpg] [Image: 1Crvcre.jpg]
Marker is in Grovetown, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is on West Robinson Avenue (State Highway 223) east of Newmantown Road, on the right when traveling east.

Paul Hamilton Hayne (1830 - 1886)

[Image: AAbLFHF.jpg] [Image: S6kTgnR.jpg]

[Image: lY3mEDo.jpg] [Image: OECIr6X.jpg]
Marker is in Grovetown, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is at the intersection of West Robinson Avenue (Georgia Route 223) and Newnantown Road, on the right when traveling west on West Robinson Avenue. The marker stands in front of the Grovetown Museum.

Famous Indian Trail

[Image: Ky0fmpR.jpg] [Image: PI460Ir.jpg]
Marker is at the intersection of Gordon Highway (U.S. 78) and Verdery Street/Planner Mill Road, on the left when traveling east on Gordon Highway.

Oliver Hardy Residence

[Image: lrHMyXg.jpg] [Image: HLTbRbb.jpg]

[Image: WoBY2CC.jpg]
Marker is at the intersection of North Louisville Street (U.S. 221) and Verdery Street, on the right when traveling south on North Louisville Street. Located on the outside of the Harlem Police Headquarters.

Oliver Norvell Hardy

[Image: dj62TQ5.jpg]

[Image: 0sJpacW.jpg] [Image: LYNsRFP.jpg]
Marker is in Harlem, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is on N Louisville Street (Georgia Route 47), on the right when traveling south. Outside the new Oliver Hardy Museum.

[Image: wI2CHuz.jpg] [Image: mfumttx.jpg]

Damascus Baptist Church

[Image: HeRhsi7.jpg]

[Image: XplxLYh.jpg] [Image: COoOXgH.jpg]
Marker is near Leah, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Road and Washington Road (Georgia Highway 104), on the left when traveling east on Ridge Road. Marker is located near the church's historic cemetery.

The Fall Line and Headgates The Augusta Canal

[Image: OXuI6BT.jpg]

[Image: C3rIQi3.jpg] [Image: EldI5dt.jpg]

Marker is located within Savannah Rapids Regional Park, beside the subject headgates, along the Augusta Canal Trail.

[Image: kKaTH2c.jpg] [Image: 3vTK33s.jpg]

The Old City Locks The Augusta Canal

[Image: 6cECouQ.jpg]

[Image: HPyIerR.jpg] [Image: IQGpGMd.jpg]
The Augusta Canal Marker overlooking the Dance Pavillion. Augusta Canal Lock Keeper's Cottage, c1875.

Marker is located within Savannah Rapids Regional Park, beside the walkway at the southeast end of the main The Augusta Canal Marker.

[Image: FEUZLiw.jpg] [Image: Nt16UcG.jpg]
Augusta Canal (view downstream from headgates). Augusta Canal Dance Pavilion (view from across the canal).

Basil Neal - Soldier of '76

  [Image: BklC2tj.jpg] [Image: Yur8uVl.jpg]

[Image: tKs7IJu.jpg]   [Image: vZXuO1s.jpg]
Marker is in Winfield, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is on Cobbham Road (State Road 150) near Happy Valley Lane, on the left when traveling east.

Sharon Baptist Church

[Image: kGAG0Wr.jpeg]

[Image: E0KbUAs.jpg] [Image: dGbRtLa.jpg]
Marker is by the Church in Winfield. Marker is on Cobbham Road (State Highway 150) near Mistletoe Road, on the left when traveling West.

Shiloh Methodist Church

[Image: FQ3LQH2.jpg]

[Image: mD1WSCl.jpg] [Image: LHIK5Mf.jpg]
Marker is in Winfield by the Church on Cobbham Road (State Road 150), on the right when traveling north.

William Few Signer of the U.S. Constitution

[Image: 2wLgwQO.jpg]

[Image: Yh0tmpV.jpg] [Image: 5GYBXjV.jpg]
Marker is in Winfield, Georgia, in Columbia County. Marker is on Cobbham Road (State Road 150), on the right when traveling west. Oddly this marker is numbered for nearby McDuffie County, yet is listed and located in Columbia County.

[Image: KaepjXb.jpg] [Image: VQXw6ZU.jpeg]
William Few 1748 – 1828. William Few, Georgia Tribute at St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Augusta.

OK I found another private property Natural Wonder for Columbia County so I am going to break this off with the Communities and Notable people left to feature.  Have thought long and hard on this Columbia County Georgia Natural Wonder Gal theme for this post, and I came up with Girls from Columbia. May not be Georgia Gals, but I wish they were, Woof.

[Image: LeCw7wa.jpeg]
Oh my Gosh, I chose today's GNW Gal theme wisely.
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Advertise on this site. is an independent website and is not affiliated with The University of Georgia. © 2024 All rights reserved
NOTE: The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of