Forum Jump:

Computer info
I am needing to get a new tower computer but it has been awhile since I bought this one. I know tech/features have changed and improved, but I have no clue as to what is available as to storage capacity, speed, features, etc. Current machine is beginning to suffer all to often.

I know I could go to Best Buy and have one of their Geeks give me advice but I wouldn't be comfortable knowing when advice ended and a sales pitch started. I know some basic stuff I'd like for it to have, DVD and CD player and the basic max RAM (which is currently what?), etc. So any advice some of you savvy computer dawgs could impart I'd appreciate it. 

Yes I'm a dinosaur but I would rather have a tower/desk top and not a laptop (had one, never got the feel of the finger mouse pad) even bought pants mouse, but finally gave it to my son.  

Thanks for any direction. 

Beatle
If you are anywhere remotely close to Marietta, go to Micro Center. You will find very knowledgeable and helpful people there who really know their stuff and can set you up with a nice PC for a great deal.

Couple of thoughts that I have noticed in recent years... You probably won't find a regular old magnetic disk hard drive anymore. I could be wrong, you might. But they have gone to SSD (solid state drives... just a bunch of chips on a board). They are way faster than the older hard drives, and you can get gigantic ones, as far as their storage size. But they are a bit more expensive, and their life expectancy isn't as long as that of the older magnetic hard drives/hard disks.

There are a lot that has changed, and keeps changing, with PCs. That is the main reason for my suggestion to go to Micro Center. They have the best selection, options, etc., and their tech people are super-knowledgeable and helpful. I think they get a sales cut and they are eager to help, and they are knowledgeable. 

Micro Center is the best store I have ever been to for any type of electronics goods. They are on Powers Ferry Road.
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
Been in IT 45 years. You probably won't find a device with DVD or Cd built in it. You will probably need to purchase USB drives if you have to have them. I would opt for a minimum 16GB ram with 32GB being better. SSD drives are the standard. If you are getting a new monitor also, that would be good, if not, make sure the cables will work on your new machine. You may need a display port or HDMI to vga adapter. Buy the most powerful machine in your budget, it will work for you longer before outdated. Dell is a decent option and HP has some decent machines. Micro Center was a good call, they have been around a long time and have variety. Good luck on your purchase.
(02-24-2024, 03:44 PM)Replying to hitdawg

Solid advice.  Not sure you can find disk drives anymore.  

You can still get a traditional hard drive with more capacity at a cheaper price, but the performance of the SSD is far superior.  

One note I’ll say about laptops.  You can now get them with a docking station and then connect an external keyboard and mouse to the docking station as well as multiple monitors.  I use this setup and have 3 monitors to work on.  And it gives the flexibility that if you do need to take it with you it’s possible.