Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #119 - Timpson Creek Falls - Plumorchard Creek Falls. 1,044
Georgia Natural Wonder #119 - Timpson Creek Falls - Plumorchard Creek Falls

Alright, I was down to one of my last Waterfalls in my Mark Morrison book, and I found a Web Sight that has 40 more Falls in Rabun County alone. I was up to 3 AM tweaking this post, and I present 7 waterfalls on two hikes along two creeks just west of Clayton on Highway 76. These are off the beaten path, they all call for bushwhacking to see. I submit what was posted on the web and give you GPS coordinates, Report back with photo's if anybody tries to take this hike.

[Image: k1z2vcM.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek Falls Closeup

Often, it is disappointing that some most photogenic waterfalls are located on private land. In some isolated cases, the owners are generous enough to allow the public to visit, but unfortunately, the majority of the time, such waterfalls are strictly off-limits. Timpson Creek Falls is one of those private waterfalls, but visitors are in luck: the property boundary stretches directly across the waterfall, and it is easy to view and photograph the falls from public land immediately downstream, avoiding any trespassing. This single-drop 40-foot waterfall is quite a beauty. This hike occurred on Saturday, March 4th, 2017. My plan was to hike a well-established old forest road, sometimes referred to as the Timpson Creek Trail, out and back to Timpson Creek Falls from Forest Road 162 (Timpson Creek Road).

[Image: iawpKQh.jpg?1]
Forest road along Timpson Creek

Directions from Clayton, GA: From the intersection of US 23/441 and US 76 West in downtown Clayton, follow US 76 West (Savannah Street) for 4.9 miles, and then, turn right onto Loop 76 Road. In 0.1 miles, turn right onto unpaved Timpson Creek Road (FS 162). This road is in acceptable condition, but it passes through an area of tornado damage, where the road gets narrow and where brush next to the road may scrape your car a bit. 1.1 miles from Loop 76 Road, reach a small wide area in the road. Park on the right side of the road here; a faint path heads down to the creek and to Timpson Creek Falls.

[Image: uI78phZ.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek Falls trailhead parking

Details

Timpson Creek Falls is one of those waterfalls that is beautiful, easy to reach, but for mysterious reasons is off the grid. One reason for this may be the potential for trespassing on private land. However, if you pay attention to and follow my directions closely, you will stay entirely on public land on this hike. Begin the hike at the aforementioned point on Timpson Creek Road, about 1.1 miles from the south entrance to the road. From the small pullout, a faint path leads down to Timpson Creek. At the creek, bear left and ford Timpson Creek. During the drought conditions that were present on this day, the ford was only knee-deep at the the deepest point. However, Timpson Creek is a large creek, and during normal winter and spring water levels, the crossing will be deeper.

[Image: CcnLAYK.jpg?1]
The beginning of the trail, descending down to Timpson Creek

[Image: Pvabh4y.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek ford near the beginning of the hike

[Image: vt2RenL.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek upstream from the ford

[Image: ljXqSir.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek downstream from the ford

On the other side of Timpson Creek, pick up a wide and well-used old forest road that follows the east side of Timpson Creek. Simply follow this forest road, which stays nearly level or rises slightly. There is one blowdown closer to the beginning, but for the most part, the forest road is maintained well. There are some views of Timpson Creek throughout the hike, but generally, the road stays well above the creek. At 0.6 miles, the road makes a gradual bend to the east just as the creek does the same. Then, at 0.7 miles, reach a well-used steep path leaving to the left down to the creek. A big roar is audible in the creek down below - you're hearing Timpson Creek Falls.

[Image: Gcz6BWP.jpg?1]

[Image: AUOwbrC.jpg?1]
The only major blowdown along the forest road

[Image: KUcRv5R.jpg?1]

[Image: 2plFn7z.jpg?1]
A view of the Timpson Creek gorge

[Image: Fzxe6Kw.jpg?1]

[Image: ROuDIew.jpg?1]
Junction with steep trail to Timpson Creek Falls (left), while forest road continues to private land (right)

Please do not continue on the forest road, as it enters private land shortly thereafter; instead, turn left onto the path that leads to the falls. The path is steep but manageable. In about 200 feet, reach the bottom near the creek. Turn right here, and following the obvious route, reach Timpson Creek Falls at 0.75 miles.

[Image: WbSpt2w.jpg?1]
The steep side trail to Timpson Creek Falls (it is steeper than it looks)

[Image: SFLqaad.jpg?1]
First view of Timpson Creek Falls through the trees

[Image: WKlUZHI.jpg?1]
Approaching Timpson Creek Falls

[Image: so07FiF.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek Falls

Timpson Creek Falls is a beauty! The waterfall is about 40 feet high and the creek falls down in a single drop into a beautiful rhododendron-lined pool. There are good views of the falls from the side and from the front. While the waterfall is on private land, the boundary crosses the falls, so the viewing area in front of and on the south side of the falls is on public land. Do not wander any further, however, and do not cross the creek, as the north side is entirely private.

[Image: zuGUCpL.jpg?1]
Timpson Creek Falls

[Image: BsrcYCK.jpg?1]
Last picture of Timpson Creek Falls. Note the rhododendron jungles all around.

From Timpson Creek Falls, simply retrace your steps back to the trailhead. The climb back up to the forest road is tough but short, and once you catch your breath at the top, the rest of the hike is a breeze. You will conclude the hike at 1.5 miles.

Lower Timpson Creek Falls

It looks like there is another waterfall on this creek, downstream along the dirt road. From the bottom, this is the first waterfall on Timpson Creek. It's nearly roadside.

[Image: yp6U2tr.jpg?1]

This waterfall is at the back of a large campsite along Timpson Creek Road (FS 162). You'll only need to walk a few feet to see it.

Waterfall Location: 34.871578, -83.478930

Also in the same area as this second fall, I find these other two falls on an unnamed Creek,

Rolling Rock Falls

This is the lower of two small waterfalls on an unnamed tributary of Timpson Creek that flows in just below Lower Timpson Creek Falls.

[Image: cVyKVWz.jpg?1]

This waterfall accessed by a difficult bushwhack from Lower Timpson Creek Falls.

Waterfall Location: 34.87438, -83.47425

Double Tier Falls

This is the upper of two small waterfalls on an unnamed tributary of Timpson Creek that flows in just below Lower Timpson Creek Falls.

[Image: usnz3wk.jpg?1]

This waterfall is also accessed by a difficult bushwhack from Lower Timpson Creek Falls.

Waterfall Location: 34.87548, -83.47278

Several short waterfall hikes are available nearby. Three of them are on Plumorchard Creek. In fact, the web site poster did this hike in addition to Timpson Creek Falls on the same day.

Angelica Falls

From the bottom, this is the second and largest waterfall on Plumorchard Creek. Initially follow an old road from FS 163, followed by a steep bushwhack into the Plumorchard Creek gorge to Angelica Falls.

Waterfall Location: 34.909933, -83.555382

Directions from Clayton, GA: From the intersection of US 23/441 and US 76 West in downtown Clayton, follow US 76 West (Savannah Street) for 8.0 miles, and then, turn right onto Persimmon Road. In 1.9 miles, turn left onto Plum Orchard Road. 2.7 miles from Persimmon Road, Plum Orchard Road becomes unpaved but it is in good condition and passable by most passenger vehicles. 3.5 miles from Plum Orchard Road, reach the trailhead area, which is characterized by a gated forest road leaving to the right. An assortment of electrical boxes are located at this spot. Park here but please do not block the gate, as the gated forest road is the main entryway to an area of private property along Plumorchard Creek above Angelica Falls. There is space for several cars, on both sides of Plum Orchard Road, without blocking the gate. 

Details

During the first week of March, while browsing through satellite imagery across Rabun County, Georgia, I suddenly noticed an impressive waterfall - clearly outlined on satellite - in an unfamiliar to me part of Rabun County. A quick Google Search turned up exactly zero references to this waterfall, which appeared to be in Rabun County, and after spending a whole hour searching online and asking friends if they knew about this waterfall or had visited it, I concluded that the waterfall has not been "visited" by the hiking community (locals likely know about it, of course), and ultimately, it became that this spectacular waterfall on Plumorchard Creek is undocumented.  I decided to visit it and was surprised to find the bushwhack shorter and easier than it had looked. After some contemplation, and after further increasing my confidence in the fact that the waterfall is unnamed and undocumented, I christened the 65-foot waterfall Angelica Falls, in honor of my mother. My opinion is that it is a very fitting tribute to the person who is behind instilling the love for waterfalls and nature as a whole in me.

[Image: tlo0xIM.jpg?1]
Angelica Falls

The hike to Angelica Falls is not difficult, but it is not on trails and requires a certain amount of navigational skills/experience, in addition to a map and compass (or GPS). One of the keys to the hike is to begin at the best starting point, which is described in the directions, but I will repeat it here. The trailhead is at a point where a gated road branches off to the right from Plum Orchard Road, and at the junction, there is a set of electrical boxes. The gated road is actually access to an area of private property near Plumorchard Creek, but it is perfectly fine to use the road to access Angelica Falls, because part of the road is on Forest Service property, and none of my hike nor my directions to the falls involved any trespassing.

[Image: SzQcETc.jpg?1]
Trailhead area for Angelica Falls. The hike begins on the gated road on right.

[Image: J7XRVcg.jpg?1]
Beginning of gated road

[Image: NqYIMtu.jpg?1]
Gated road

From the trailhead, walk around the gate at the beginning of the gated road and follow the wide road - which exhibits sign of usage - on a gentle downhill grade. 0.2 miles from the trailhead, reach a second gate and a profusion of signs related to private property. Do not follow the road beyond the gate under any circumstance; everything further down is private land. Instead, at the signs and surveyor's marker at the private property boundary, turn right onto a steep path past some sawed logs. Following the boundary, you'll pass through a small ravine and join an older forest road on the other side. Begin following the forest road eastward as it curves around a small lead from Russell Mountain. 

[Image: cbpLxUl.jpg?1]
Second gate at private property boundary - turn right here to avoid trespassing

[Image: Pbla17P.jpg?1]
Older forest road

[Image: D4B95Lg.jpg?1]
Older forest road

As you follow the forest road, you'll curve away from the property boundary, but private fields will be visible several times in the valley below. The valley around Plumorchard Creek here is quite broad, and it is hard to imagine that the creek is about to go over a 65-foot drop and into a mile-long narrow gorge. At 0.25 miles, a steep path leaves left to the fields, and at 0.3 miles, an obvious forest road leaves acutely left to the fields as well. Continue straight on a not-as-well-defined forest road. The road suddenly disappears in what looks like it might be an overgrown turnaround at 0.35 miles.

[Image: tOxgtIl.jpg?1]
From the older forest road, private fields are visible below

[Image: KXDJMBe.jpg?1]
Approaching the end of the older forest road

[Image: nAgadnY.jpg?2]
Beyond the end of the forest road, turn left into the relatively open woods and bushwhack northeast up the ridge. The woods look like this.

From here, the rest of the route to Angelica Falls is bushwhack, but the good news is that you are more than halfway there! To hike the best route to the falls, turn left into the relatively open woods and bushwhack northeast at a compass bearing of about 30° diagonally up a low ridge. There are some mountain laurel trees, but progress is relatively easy. At 0.4 miles, reach the crest of the low ridge. At the crest, turn left and work your way along the ridge to its end at the edge of the Plumorchard Creek gorge at 0.45 miles. At this point, I could hear Angelica Falls far below, and after beating around a bit, I found a point from which I could see the waterfall as well.

[Image: GDrOW13.jpg?1]
More of the open woods along the slope of the ridge

[Image: Q16FcyZ.jpg?1]
Slightly thicker woods on top of the ridge. I did not take any pictures along the steep route down the lead just after this point, but the woods are about the same or even slightly thinner.

[Image: BejbkeL.jpg?1]
From the edge of the gorge, there is a view of Angelica Falls through the trees down below

At the edge of the ridge is where my route in became different from my route back out. The route I recommend (which I utilized on my way out) is to descend the spine of the steep lead that heads northeast at a bearing of about 40° . While the lead is certainly steep, the understory is fairly open, allowing for relatively easy progress, and there are plenty of handholds that aid with the descent. The other option is to descend down the also steep and very open ridge-slope eastward into a ravine with a small feeder stream, and from there, to follow the feeder stream downstream to Plumorchard Creek, with a short but tough bushwhack through a rhododendron tangle along the way. In my opinion, the shorter route along the spine of the lead is easier, and assuming you took that route, you will come out at Plumorchard Creek in one tenth of a mile at 0.55 miles. During this time, you will descend about 200 feet.

[Image: k9AuyC1.jpg?1]
At the end of lead, Plumorchard Creek is reached, and Angelica Falls appears through the trees in the distance.

Once you reach Plumorchard Creek, there really is no sensible route other than to walk in the creek the rest of the way (about 250 feet) to the falls, as the sides of the creek are severely overgrown with rhododendron. Fortunately, walking in the creek is normally not difficult, although during high water it will be harder, and it may not be possible to do at all during cold weather. Begin walking upstream in the creek, which was no higher than knee level in the deepest places on this day (although it will be higher during a winter without drought). After ducking under a log, Angelica Falls comes into view through the bushes and trees, and even from the first glance, it becomes obvious that this waterfall is a classic Southern Appalachian beauty. Two-thirds of the way to the waterfall, there is an obstacle that could require a difficult bushwhack to get around during high water: a cascade that is several feet high. The best way to get up the cascade is on the left side, scrambling up a large log and onto boulders near the top of the cascade. After the cascade, several dozen more paces bring you to a second cascade and a large flat boulder. Angelica Falls is just ahead, and the view of it from here is perfect. For those who wish to get to the very base of the waterfall, getting around the second cascade is possible on the left side of the creek, but it would take significantly more time and effort, and in my opinion, the view from here is already very good. 

[Image: xKxs8Qs.jpg?1]
Walking along Plumorchard Creek, there is one notable obstacle: the cascade shown below. Scramble up on the left side.

[Image: 2ZcNUDT.jpg?1]
First open view of Angelica Falls

[Image: nSR5TdN.jpg?1]
Angelica Falls with lower cascade

Angelica Falls is 65 feet high, and all of it is in one drop down a nearly vertical cliff. During low water, the waterfall is still powerful, and two ribbons of water flow are exhibited (during high water, they likely converge into one). I could not see it well, but it seemed like there is a small rock shelter behind the waterfall near its base. It is interesting to note that closer to the base, the right side of the waterfall becomes more slanted than the left side, and an outcrop in the cliff separate the two sides at the bottom. Angelica Falls has become one of my favorite waterfalls in Georgia, and it is incredible that such a beauty has stayed "under the wraps" for so long. If you visit this beautiful waterfall on Plumorchard Creek yourself, please refer to it as Angelica Falls, as I am highly confident that the name I gave to it - Angelica Falls - is the first name to be assigned to the falls across the internet. In other words, some locals may have given their own names to it before, but there is no evidence of any prior names across the web.

[Image: 431vdVw.jpg?1]
Angelica Falls with lower cascade

[Image: xhgrvIq.jpg?1]
Angelica Falls

[Image: KWUrGeQ.jpg?1]
Angelica Falls from a slightly different angle

After spending ample time for appreciating the beauty of Angelica Falls, simply retrace your steps back to the trailhead, concluding the hike at 1.2 miles.  Wait, I found these extra falls while on this creek.

Plumorchard Falls

From the bottom, this is the first waterfall on Plumorchard Creek.

[Image: uIFUJYd.jpg?1]

Bushwhack and creek-walk downstream from Angelica Falls, which is accessed by a part-bushwhack from FS 163.

Waterfall Location: 34.911709, -83.551178

Upper Plumorchard Falls

From the bottom, this is the third waterfall on Plumorchard Creek.

[Image: a9evAyj.jpg?1]

Follow an old road downstream from the north side of the FS 163 Plumorchard Creek bridge. Then, scramble to the base down the steep, deadfall-strewn bank when you see the waterfall below you.

Waterfall Location: 34.919771, -83.564107

I am nervous posting this wonder because I am not familiar with it and I don't want to be responsible for getting you lost in the woods. Use red tape to mark the trail out like we did on some of those top ten mountains of Georgia hikes earlier in this forum. This is the 10th Waterfall hike since GNW #100. We have one more swamp, on this waterfalls to swamp run, then I going to post some of the obscure wonders I have been visiting all near Athens lately. Got some wonderful history tangents coming up for antebellum Georgia. Rank today's GNW gals, waterfall bikini babes.

[Image: dFjzT28.jpg?1] [Image: x8zUG8H.jpg?1] [Image: 31g8YUS.jpg?1]
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]