Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #127 - John’s Mountain - Keown Falls. 859
Georgia Natural Wonder #127 - John’s Mountain -  Keown Falls

Johns Mountain with an elevation of 1,683 feet, Johns Mountain is only the 666th highest summit in the state of Georgia, but what a great spot to explore in far west Georgia. The mountain is located inside the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest. Johns Mountain was named in honor of John Fields, a local Cherokee Indian.

[Image: ScDhmSF.jpg?1] [Image: oDGJyDl.jpg?1]

John's Mountain Trail

This 3.5 miles loop trail begins and ends at the John's Mountain Overlook located at the end of FS 208. The trail connects with the Keown Falls Loop Trail above the falls. The small trail system at Keown Falls and Johns Mountain is one of the nicer hikes in Walker County. Unlike other parts of the Georgia mountains, there just isn't many hiking opportunities in the Valley & Ridge area due to the lack of points of interest. Keown Falls and South Keown Falls are exceptions in an otherwise waterfall-void area.

[Image: iAcCx2Y.jpg?1]

Directions: Take GA 136 east from LaFayette for 13.5 miles. Turn right (south) past Villanow onto a county road (Pocket Road) and go about 4 miles. Turn right onto FS 208 to the observation deck.

[Image: thrIZsK.jpg?1]

Johns Mountain is part of the Armuchee Ridges that form Northwest Georgia's Valley and Ridge geologic section. This trail starts with one of the best views of the "Valley and Ridge" section of north Georgia from the deck in the parking lot. It follows the high ridge of Johns Mountain to the upper Keown Falls overlook on Keown Falls Trail, then returns to the Johns Mountain parking lot climbing some 800 feet in a grueling mile.

[Image: dpp0C73.jpg?1]

The entire hike is within the 24,589 acres Johns Mountain Wildlife Management Area. Hunting is permitted anywhere within the area, so be careful to check locally for hunting seasons. Wear hunter's orange when appropriate.

[Image: fAlBAHO.jpg?1]

From the trailhead walk straight ahead, towards a small building and tower antenna. On previous hikes the building has normally been a trash collection, but on our most recent hike it was clean. The well-worn ridge top path is easily followed and occasionally marked with a blaze that I call white recta-squares (sometimes rectangles, sometimes squares). If you go a ways and haven't seen a blaze, don't worry.

[Image: nUkBqZI.jpg?1]

The trail can be rocky in places. It is interesting to note the changes in the flora as the trail becomes rocky -- fewer, lower trees permit light that encourages lower-growing plants that at times choke the path. There are also several neat rock outcrops along the ridge. The trail is nearly level along the ridge, with occasional periods of gradual uphill.

[Image: GXQYXP5.jpg?1]

The ridge top is wide with gently sloping sides except in three places where a steep, almost cliff-like slope drops sharply near the trail. Ignore any side trails that lead to the top of the cliffs as that is a dangerous area.

[Image: KZF15ki.jpg?1]

After 1.8 miles the gradual downward slope of the trail steepens, then the trail turns to the left (away from the ridge) heading down to a stepping stone crossing of two streams (one is frequently dry) and a wooden bridge over the creek that creates Keown Falls.

[Image: 4mkEDbz.jpg?1]

The upper platform (2.55 miles) for Keown Falls offers a look down at the falls and another scenic view of nearby Dick's Ridge. To the right, a distinct side trail leads 100 feet to the spectacular lower vista on Johns Mountain, which includes most of Keown Falls Cove, the Johns Creek valley with Lake Marvin in the distance, and Horn Mountain on the other side of the valley. If you're lucky to catch this area during peak fall colors, the color display in the Keown Falls Cove will be spectacular!

[Image: WYkP4AY.jpg?1]

[Image: 0avNnGv.jpg?1]

The most interesting feature of Keown Falls is the huge undercut grotto behind it. The trail passes behind the falls and climbs up to a junction a hundred feet past the falls.

[Image: 5VKGgVo.jpg?1]

You may follow the Keown Falls path down to the lower platform for another view of these high mountain falls. The trail follows the base of a scenic bluff line. The fall colors were stunning in the cove at the time of my hike. The trail reaches Keown Falls. Keown Falls free-falls about 35 feet over the lip of an overhanging bluff. The waterfall is usually close to a trickle except after heavy rain.

[Image: gri21kV.jpg?1] [Image: Ta2xroO.jpg?1]

The return trip is a grueling mile climb along an old roadbed, rising about 80 feet every .1 mile, along what is probably a logging road, although it did seem fairly well developed. This portion of the trail is easily a "difficult" and could be a strenuous.

[Image: VBI1Vbt.jpg?1]

Johns Mountain and Pinhoti Loop is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Villanow, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

[Image: WW970bv.jpg?1]

Please note: it has been reported some of this trail may be destroyed from a fire, turning this into and out and back hike. The trail can be accessed from either the Keown Falls parking lot or the John's Mountain parking lot. The falls are impressive during wet seasons and the trail passes through a large space behind the falls.

[Image: dBJe3iu.jpg?1]

Trip Reports

Lee Baldwin

I had heard about Keown Falls and living close by, I decided I would go. The weather was picture perfect. Clear and sunny with a temp of 70 degrees. Loaded up daypack with water and snacks and packed up the dog with his harness and leash along with water, and away we went. When we got out of the car, the transformation was amazing. Gone was sounds of the city and rural area that I live in, replaced by the sounds of a small creek running and making its way over rocks. Of course, the dog had to go for a quick dip before we could hit the trail. The area out of the parking area is a little grown up, but it is summer, so it is to be expected. We crossed the small stream and we got on the main trail. I like this area because it is wide and fairly clear, so you can see if there are any snakes.

[Image: wuRgvVC.jpg?1]

We continued on the main trail and came to a resting bench, so we stopped for a moments to drink some water and have a small snack. As we got close to the falls, the trail narrowed quite a bit and was grown up, but it was still hikeable. The view, stunning and beautiful, were a welcome sight. We continue around and arrived at the falls. Nice, nice, nice. The dog wasn't too sure about the falls, but then we got in front of it and loved splashing in the pool of water.

[Image: Y2JQMCk.jpg?1]

We decided to continue on around, but it was severely grownup and we backtracked and went to the overlook. At this point, we rested for about 30 minutes taking in the beauty while resting our feet and joints, then we began our return to the car. It's a nice trail and secluded enough that we did not encounter any crowds. I wish it was maintained more than it is, because it is a truly spectacular place. I will definitely go back again, probably in the fall.

[Image: 9IReAv7.jpg?1]

Holly Matthews

This trail is a 3.5 mile loop that connects to the Keown Falls Trail and part of the Pinhoti Trail as well.

[Image: ZQ9tdoL.jpg?1]

I really enjoyed hiking John's MTN Loop and I would suggest going after it has rained so when you get to the Keown Falls overlook you'll be able to see the waterfall running. It's not a heavy waterfall but it's still really nice. The area is scenic even when the falls are dry.

[Image: 3sJYaaW.jpg?1]

The only part of this trail that was mildly unpleasant was the 1 mile hike back up to the overlook.  The scenery was just as nice but it made for a hard uphill workout.

[Image: 678iG4F.jpg?1]

I would do this hike again in the spring just to see the different types of foliage.

[Image: E3jhUsd.jpg?1]

Keown Falls Scenic Area and Hike

Now there is a second trail just going to the Falls. This scenic area was set aside because of the unique rock bluffs and high elevation swampy areas formed from springs. Keown Falls, named for land surveyor Gordon Keown, Gordon Keown (he pronounced his last name like Cowen), an alumnus of Berry College. Keown graduated from the boy's school in 1905 and attended the University of Georgia for 2 years, returning to the Berry Schools in 1907 to work as a cashier. In 1910 he became the manager of "Ye Countrie" store on campus. In 1913 Keown married Frances Olmstead, a teacher in the girls' school. They lived in Oklahoma for a few years and then returned when Keown took the position of Berry's first postmaster and head of land acquisition. He surveyed much of Northwest Georgia and these falls near the top of Johns Mountain are named in his honor. In addition to his role of surveyor, Keown became the acting director of Berry College following the death of Martha Berry in 1942. One of the major problems Keown faced as director was maintaining adequate staffing levels during World War II.

[Image: fPVaq3R.jpg?1]
George.

These are twin falls located along two spring-fed streams within the 218-acre scenic area. The larger one free-falls 60 feet and the smaller about 40 feet. During summer the streams may become dry. A sign posted at the trail head informs visitors whether the falls are flowing.

[Image: BQg3A8U.jpg?1]

The hike begins at the far end of the parking area at the end of FS 702. The trail splits into the Keown Falls Loop at 0.1 miles. If you do the smaller loop option, you'll hike both sides of the loop, but if you do the longer loop the way I did it past Pilchers Pond,

[Image: MaZx3Fl.jpg?1]

I recommend going up the more scenic south side of the Keown Falls Loop to visit South Keown Falls too. Thus, stay left at the split and ascend the fairly steep slope of Johns Mountain via switchbacks. The trail eventually enters the Keown Falls Cove around 0.65 miles, with good views of the cliffs on the other side near Keown Falls. After making one last pair of switchbacks beside a small cliff, the trail reaches South Keown Falls at 0.75 miles. Located on a tributary of the creek that forms Keown Falls, South Keown Falls usually has even lower flow than Keown Falls. Still, it's an intriguing waterfall. I like how the creek trickles over the cliff, forming a small area of lush vegetation and spray community plants at the foot of the cliff. The falls is about 25 feet high, entirely a free-fall.

[Image: aWU6r1N.jpg?1]

The 1.8-mile Keown Falls Loop Trail begins and ends at the picnic area parking lot. It is unmarked but easily followed. The northern part of the loop provides views of moisture-loving cove hardwood tree species, and the southern portion gives views of tree species indicative of dry ridges.

[Image: 4ZzvG9n.jpg?1]

This trail may be used to access the 3.5-mile John's Mountain Loop Trail, which is marked with white blazes. An overlook at the top of John's Mountain offers a scenic vista of Taylor Ridge, Lookout Mountain, and the surrounding valley.

[Image: Nfb4pYF.jpg?1]

Keown Falls Recreation Area, located adjacent to the scenic area, offers an abundant variety of colorful wildflowers and shrubs. Mountain laurel blooms throughout the late spring and early summer months; both the pink and white varieties bloom in June. Azaleas and dogwood add to the springtime color. The mixture of hickory, sourwood, oak, beech, and yellow poplar presents a brilliant spectrum for autumn leaf watchers.

[Image: 5xZYPRo.jpg?1]

The picnic area located in a forest at the foot of John's Mountain has a flowing creek where children can wade and tired hikers can cool their feet.

[Image: HXu8NOy.jpg?1] [Image: l1DK7h9.jpg?1]

Directions: Take GA 136 east from LaFayette 13.5 miles; turn right (south) at Villanow onto Pocket Road; go approximately 5 miles to the Keown Falls entrance road, FS 702.

[Image: 5egY7my.jpg?1]

Facilities: Parking, picnic area with tables and pedestal grills, restrooms, hand pump for water, hiking trail. Information is available at the U.S. Forest Service office.

[Image: ccvasQ9.jpg?1]

For more information: Keown Falls Recreation Area, U.S. Forest Service, PO Box 465, LaFayette, GA 30728. Phone (706) 638-1085.

We still have several waterfalls to go, so I don't want to use up all the waterfall GNW Gals. Here is one that seems tickled in a trickle.

[Image: prwrc2U.jpg?1]
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]