Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #131 - Pigeon Hill - Little Kennesaw Mountain. 1,004
Georgia Natural Wonder #131 - Pigeon Hill - Little Kennesaw Mountain

OK, a long break between new post as we cleaned up the Forum with Imgur images, making this a permanent image Forum. When you go back and look at the old Forum post, they will all be complete now, with no missing images (at least the first 99 as of now). We were doing a Classic South to Mountain theme on presenting Wonders. It was time for a Mountain, so I chose Kennesaw Mountain. It is part of a mountain ridge between Marietta and Kennesaw, Georgia in the United States with a summit elevation of 1,808 feet. It is the highest point in the core (urban and suburban) metro Atlanta area, and fifth after further-north exurban counties are considered. The local terrain averages roughly 1,000 feet AMSL.

[Image: fLtVHmb.jpg?1]

The mountain actually has two summits: 

"Big Kennesaw", where the modern-day parking area and scenic overlook are located.

Little Kennesaw Mountain, where several light hiking trails and nature areas connect the mountains to the rest of the park.

There is also the Brushy Mountain that goes for another two miles east just south of Barrett Parkway.

[Image: bXyRYXl.jpg?1]

There was earthworks all along the ridge of these three mountains.

[Image: cokKbzw.jpg?2]

I started out to do a post on the mountain as a Natural wonder, thinking I would have to do Cobb County as a tangent to fill in. I went for the same hike I took my kids on many weekends back when they were little and I got carried away with 100 photos on just the hike up Pigeon Hill and then Little Kennesaw Mountain. So today's post will be on that hike alone.

[Image: 7eOPmwa.jpg?1]

This out-and-back hike that combines a short portion of Pigeon Hill Trail with Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail is approximately 2-2.5 miles.

[Image: 6ldwXmy.jpg?1] [Image: ycrf0C6.jpg?1]

Beginning on the Pigeon Hill Trail at Burnt Hickory Rd, the hike ascends to the Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail reaching the highest elevation of the lower peak at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.

[Image: YgFnMSW.jpg?1]

Little Kennesaw Mountain is an enchanting trail with many interesting features that fill the senses.

[Image: UAcioJo.jpg?1]

In addition to historic Civil War earthworks, hikers enjoy spotting wildlife and exploring the unique rock formations.

[Image: UFF1kUw.jpg?1] [Image: nxbrxQh.jpg?1]

[Image: JrOIfXk.jpg?1]

The trail leads hikers through shady rock gardens accentuated by elephant-sized boulders.

[Image: HpAbwjN.jpg?1]

[Image: 6dQO8OT.jpg?1]

From here, the trail switchbacks up the mountain through an extensive rock garden.

[Image: SxjnuOA.jpg?1]

[Image: EeZWcGl.jpg?1]

This can be very challenging for some, passing small boulders and navigating large rock steps.

[Image: MceTFoB.jpg?1]

[Image: PYx04AY.jpg?1]

The wooded, rocky landscape captures the imagination.

[Image: lb5P46m.jpg?1]

[Image: BTY2iyN.jpg?1] [Image: CIYEFRG.jpg?1]

Various lichen and moss lend a colorful wardrobe to the ancient gray boulders and large twisted oaks.

[Image: KOrS92d.jpg?1]

[Image: eUnxt0M.jpg?1]

[Image: 4bxaXcU.jpg?1]

Rocks and roots offer a maze-like playground for skinks and chipmunks.

[Image: pv9GROc.jpg?1]

[Image: maJJlTC.jpg?1]

Rocky outcrops featuring folded gneiss give the trail a surreal warped appearance.

[Image: pHUNVk5.jpg?1] [Image: ywag8jF.jpg?1]

I love this trail. It offers a variety of difficulty levels throughout, diverse terrains from rocky outcroppings to pine straw padded smooth trails, and some stellar views of the surrounding area (best when leaves are off the trees).

[Image: oYNtKTi.jpg?1]

[Image: mhIAWqq.jpg?1]
Lost Mountain to west.

It’s an excellent workout and my go-to for a great winter or cool weather hike. Bring some water and a snack or lunch and maybe even your favorite book.

[Image: 79orEvY.jpg?1]

[Image: kDCkyl0.jpg?1] [Image: edVx6Np.jpg]

Once you’ve passed Pigeon Hill and are working up the rocky backside of Little Kennesaw mountain, scramble off the trail up hill to one of the giant boulders which makes a great place to sit and admire the views to the south.

[Image: KiMO09I.jpg?1]

[Image: xkZEFnm.jpg?1]

The summit is marked by an information plaque and three replica civil war-era cannons indicating the historic battles that took place here. 

[Image: 7ax6gY8.jpg?1]

[Image: WlQC4tA.jpg?1]

Just before reaching this summit, hikers will find a charming view from a picnic-perfect area to the left of the trail.

[Image: S6hwK31.jpg?1]

[Image: oZsyqEx.jpg?1]

Climbing to the top of the second summit, the trail passes along an open rock clearing before coming to Fort McBride at 1.7 miles, where several more canons have been placed.

[Image: zNEJaY9.jpg?1] [Image: F5oykQr.png?3]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tricky getting them up here.

[Image: lihtgMw.jpg?1]

The parking lot for this hike is located at the intersection of Burnt Hickory Rd and Old Mountain Rd in Kennesaw (GPS Coordinates: 33.963547, -84.593780).

[Image: 1fgOCUF.jpg?1]

At the south end of the parking lot, cross Burnt Hickory to start the hike on the Pigeon Hill Trail. Download trail maps for hikes in Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park before visiting!

[Image: QdHqaLf.jpg?1]

While the view from Little Kennesaw is picturesque, the higher peak of Kennesaw Mountain has a panoramic overlook at the summit. Hikers can access the overlook by continuing on Little Kennesaw Mountain Trail or starting a 2-mile hike from the park’s Visitor Center at the intersection of Stilesboro Rd and Old Hwy 41. This will be a wonder explored soon.

History

There was three brigades of Brig. Gen. Morgan L. Smith's division (Maj. Gen. John A. Logan's XV Corps, Army of the Tennessee) moving against Loring's corps on the southern end of Little Kennesaw Mountain and the spur known as Pigeon Hill near the Burnt Hickory Road.

[Image: NUBY7ic.jpg?1]

If the attack were successful, capturing Pigeon Hill would isolate Loring's corps on Kennesaw Mountain.

[Image: cGOrXVW.jpg?1]

All three brigades were disadvantaged by the approach through dense thickets, steep and rocky slopes, and a lack of knowledge of the terrain.

[Image: 7AwmlAs.jpg?1]

About 5,500 Union troops in two columns of regiments moved against about 5,000 Confederate soldiers, well entrenched.

[Image: uobzw3U.jpg?1]

When the artillery fire lifted, Lieutenant Colonel Rigdon Barnhill's 40th Illinois led the charge toward the mountain spur. 

[Image: NwaYPOt.jpg?1]

They hit the gorge between the hill and Little Kennesaw Mountain.

[Image: zP6fDFD.jpg?1]

They were caught in an intense crossfire from the front and both flanks nearby Little Kennesaw and French's men directly ahead on the spur.

[Image: VRSiUKE.jpg?1]

[Image: LOe9yo8.jpg?1]

[Image: w3A3Raf.jpg?1]

They were slowed by the tree branch entanglements prepared by the defenders.

[Image: 1QXDptI.jpg?1]

[Image: MbmKLSm.jpg?1]

To their left, the brigades of Col. Charles C. Walcutt and Brig. Gen. Giles A. Smith crossed difficult terrain interrupted by steep cliffs and scattered with huge rocks to approach the Missouri brigade of Brig. Gen. Francis Cockrell.

[Image: XP3p0Q8.jpg?1]
Can still see earth works.

[Image: NPMD8VS.jpg?1]

Some of the troops were able to reach as far as the abatis, but most were not and they were forced to remain stationary, firing behind trees and rocks.

[Image: mzJHHO2.jpg?2] [Image: zf0BtIc.jpg?1]

Cockrell's Confederates poured a deadly fire into the ranks of the advancing 40th Illinois. 

[Image: VYSNGcO.jpg?1] [Image: qFiX8Q2.jpg?1]

Federal entrenchments at the foot of Little Kennesaw Mountain on the left and Pigeon Hill on the right. 40th Illinois went right up between the two.

[Image: 9Jp5yUN.jpg?1] [Image: jPJsRIW.jpg?1]

The charge ended with Barnhill's death less than 30 feet from French's entrenchments. He was struck by a bullet to the head and died instantly.

[Image: 7depqyF.jpg?1]

[Image: AdsMlHf.jpg?1] [Image: T7fNfjO.jpg?1]

A sign at the main trench up Pigeon hill details how men from Missouri were attacking other men from Missouri who were defending.

[Image: 1fd2uf4.jpg?1]

[Image: 3pD1fY0.jpg?1]
Same view today, can see same rock at bottom of image.

When General Logan rode forward to judge their progress, he determined that many of his men were being "uselessly slain" and ordered Walcutt and Smith to withdraw and entrench behind the gorge that separated the lines.

[Image: zMhf6fE.jpg?1]

This effort by Logan's Fifteenth Corps at the Burnt Hickory Road was over before noon.

[Image: BHuexpL.jpg?1] [Image: tl0Rrxp.jpg?1]Come back Yankees!

Sherman would later write Belle Barnhill, the widow, telling of her husband's bravery and expressing regret that the body was too close to enemy defenses to recover the remains. 

[Image: tDP8GQn.jpg?1]
Interesting Farm with Llamas and Goats at bottom of trail by road.

[Image: X6fVTjh.jpg?1]

TRD addendum extra images.

[Image: DxXEzCv.jpg?1]

[Image: EKouKBR.jpg?1]

[Image: PrkkgCB.jpg?1]

[Image: M21srmY.jpg?1]

[Image: TwZktLw.jpg?1]

Like I said, I went overboard on images, this was a wonderful hike. Cobb County!

[Image: Waj45cp.jpg?1]

[Image: MIFhFFv.jpg?1]

[Image: PPavf9c.jpg?1]

[Image: BBVZyFq.jpg?1]

Damn, we didn't even get to the main mountain or Cobb County.

[Image: nW7TIGK.jpg?1]

Two last panoramic images.

[Image: YTyCwdU.jpg?1]

OK I am reaching here today, but our GNW Gals of the day are Civil War Widows.

[Image: 2tHuE4N.jpg?1]

Difficult ranking, but I'll go with middle gal.
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]