Forum Jump:

Went to Dawgs baseball game last night...
Team looks pretty good.  Bats were quiet until top of the 9th when we scored 6 runs.  Southern's starter was good, we couldn't get much out of the infield.  Our pitchers hung in there too, game was 1-1 going to the 9th.  I am not up on the roster so I don't know if we were using our best pitchers or if the coach was seeing what he had in some freshmen.  We had a grand slam HR in the 9th that was one of the longest home runs I've ever seen in that ballpark.  Alford hit the HR, he is the MSSt transfer.  The Southern fans were pretty mouthy and obnoxious, it was really sort of sad to see.  They really came across as having a major inferiority complex.  

The girl watching was top shelf.  The Georgia girls were prettier but the Southern girls were much sluttier and that has an appeal of its own.  A lot of the Georgia women were young moms with kids and recent grads while the Southern gals looked to be more likely to be current students.  The game was a sellout which was nice and should keep the game coming back to Augusta in the future.  Fun night at the ballpark.  If I lived in or near Athens, I'd probably get season tickets to baseball.
(03-06-2024, 10:02 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

Somebody said Georgia's basketball team beat Ole Miss last night, not sure if it was the men's or women's team who played.

[Image: 37c6f213bd810209ba2cda9901601f5d35e45524...c8fd07.jpg][Image: 5a6548dba84c9.image.jpg?resize=400%2C267]
(03-06-2024, 10:10 AM)Replying to wayxpython

Somebody said Georgia's basketball team beat Ole Miss last night, not sure if it was the men's or women's team who played.

[Image: 37c6f213bd810209ba2cda9901601f5d35e45524...c8fd07.jpg][Image: 5a6548dba84c9.image.jpg?resize=400%2C267]
[/quote]

Men's team won.  While watching the baseball game I could not help but think what a juggernaut UGA baseball could be with the extra scholarships currently being wasted on the basketball team.

"WALK ON HOOPS DAWGS"!!!!  The time is now!
Only 80 miles from Augusta to Statesboro..I would have thought it was further. I didn't realize this was a neutral site game...seems like a good idea to get the team out to other areas when they can.
(03-06-2024, 10:40 AM)Replying to McDonoughDawg

You can get to Statesboro from Augusta.  Athens is about 100 miles from Augusta so Statesboro is actually closer.

It is a fun game.  Both teams wore their dark jerseys, Georgia in red, Southern in dark blue.  The ballpark sold out, right at 6000 people, and it was a fun night with beer sales, lots of food options and a fairly evenly split crowd.  They have played the game with Southern here for a few years now and it always sells out.  We played Clemson here about 5 years ago and that was a fun game too since we are right on the SC line.

I think we play 3 games with Southern this season (we did last year), 1 here, 1 in Statesboro and 1 in Athens.
My wife and I enjoy going to watch when the Diamond Dawgs come to play at Kennesaw State. That's really close for us and too much of a great opportunity to pass up. The game is always slam-packed, and that's in KSU's kinda smallish baseball stadium (seating capacity-wise). Plus, it is smack in the middle of a really busy/congested area and doesn't offer much in regards to walking space, the ability to watch from atop a hill, something like that. Still, we enjoy going.

The lone caveat is what you mentioned, that being that UGA doesn't use any of their top-shelf pitching in a game like that. I have no clue if that is also true for Kennesaw State. Still, it's fun and it amazes me to watch these guys hitting pitching that good (from my perspective).
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

Great stuff JC-DAWG83..  Carry on.
[Image: qF4AGFi.jpg]
[Image: ujd.jpg]
JC- I occasionally get on the GaSouthern version of HOTD since my son got his bachelor’s, and daughter got her masters from there. I can assure you that they have both a Napoleon syndrome and a huge inferiority complex combined with a white hot hate for anything having to do with Athens or the Dawgs. Some of them were actually expecting an invitation from the SEC when they moved up to D1. It is truly an us against the world but especially UGA.
(03-06-2024, 12:06 PM)Replying to ToccoaDog

Ungrateful bastiges.  We sent them their greatest football coach ever back in 1981.
"But, we didn't come up here to take shots. We came up here to throw 'em." - Kirby Smart 11/13/2021

Only a few returning players from last year, and from what I recall, we have quiet a few transfers this year.  We've played pretty solid most of the year, while hitting has been great for the most part, we've been in some close games where pitchers had a chance to shine.  The Michigan State game saw a few guys get their chance, to see what we had, and it didn't go well.
(03-06-2024, 01:16 PM)Replying to viper2369

Only a few returning players from last year, and from what I recall, we have quiet a few transfers this year.  We've played pretty solid most of the year, while hitting has been great for the most part, we've been in some close games where pitchers had a chance to shine.  The Michigan State game saw a few guys get their chance, to see what we had, and it didn't go well.
[/quote]

I think we put 4 pitchers on the mound last night, the starter went 5 innings and only gave up 1 run and 1 hit.  Southern only managed 4 hits in 9 innings so pitching was pretty solid.  Left fielder, Condon, has a cannon arm.  Eagle runner rounded third on a double to deep left and Condon threw a strike to home from just inside the warning track to send him back to third.  Pitching got in a couple tight spots with multiple base runners but managed to shut Southern down without suffering any damage.

I thought they looked solid if not spectacular.  They look much better than last year's team looked against Southern here.  I would love for Georgia to become the baseball power they should be.
(03-06-2024, 12:06 PM)Replying to ToccoaDog

My Son and his Wife both graduated from Southern, they are 30 or so and couldn't be bigger UGA fans...they follow Southern, but both admit it's not the same since they joined the Sunbelt and can't compete for the FCS titles like they did back in the day.
(03-06-2024, 02:02 PM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

[/quote]

I think we put 4 pitchers on the mound last night, the starter went 5 innings and only gave up 1 run and 1 hit.  Southern only managed 4 hits in 9 innings so pitching was pretty solid.  Left fielder, Condon, has a cannon arm.  Eagle runner rounded third on a double to deep left and Condon threw a strike to home from just inside the warning track to send him back to third.  Pitching got in a couple tight spots with multiple base runners but managed to shut Southern down without suffering any damage.

I thought they looked solid if not spectacular.  They look much better than last year's team looked against Southern here.  I would love for Georgia to become the baseball power they should be.
[/quote]

Condon is a special player.  He came into the weekend batting .589, second in the nation in HRs.  But that being said, you say he was in LF, that's the 3rd position I've heard him at this season.  He's been mostly at 3rd, played 1st, and now LF.  He was a SS last year IIRC.

(03-06-2024, 11:02 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

You can get to Statesboro from Augusta.  Athens is about 100 miles from Augusta so Statesboro is actually closer.

It is a fun game.  Both teams wore their dark jerseys, Georgia in red, Southern in dark blue.  The ballpark sold out, right at 6000 people, and it was a fun night with beer sales, lots of food options and a fairly evenly split crowd.  They have played the game with Southern here for a few years now and it always sells out.  We played Clemson here about 5 years ago and that was a fun game too since we are right on the SC line.

I think we play 3 games with Southern this season (we did last year), 1 here, 1 in Statesboro and 1 in Athens.
[/quote]

I was curious about this and went to look it up.  Southern has been a mix.  For years it was a 3 game series with home and home in consecutive years.  Then I think we did what you are saying, played one each, and the neutral site game.  This year, that's the only game.  

We usually play Clemson on back to back nights for the mid-week games as well.  One here and one in Clemson.  Looks like that's not happening this year, only one game is on the schedule, in Athens. 

The GT series changed from multiple mid-week games to a weekend series that's played in Atlanta, Athens, and neutral site a couple of years ago.  Think the neutral is always coolray, but they may go up to Truist some.  And not sure if y'all heard what they pulled last Friday.  Game in Atlanta started with hit sprinkling, and they played in rain the whole game.  Never getting any worse.  Bottom of the 5th, Dawgs up 9-3, they pulled them off the field from warming up and suspended the game.  Now the teams would have to agree to a date the Dawgs could go back and finish it.  Most likely causing the game just to be a wiped from the schedule game.