Forum Jump:

So...about the "tease" I mentioned (St B's poosh-paned post)...
You may recall 3 years ago when Dave, the HS buddy of TSM's Mike (aka StoopidGy), contacted him just before our 2021 event. He'd been a supporter of Mike and TSM for awhile...but now it was really personal. Serena, his daughter, had been diagnosed with a rather rare (especially at her age!) tumor. It took collaboration among many providers to get her into a Phase II clinical trial at Mass General in Boston that saved her life!

So....I will let this year's INCREDIBLE addition (one-time only?!) to Team Spider Monkey tell you in his own words (from Serena's caringbridge, March 4)...

"I happily report that Serena remains cancer free since November 29, 2021. We just returned from her final follow-up visit to Mass General Hospital (MGH) in Boston where her oncology and stem cell transplant teams communicated their extreme pleasure with her results and her outlook. They also said that, following Serena's success, several patients with the same diagnosis have followed the same path to cure.

Serena's life and story continues because of the outpouring of support we received from family and friends. So, Thank you!

Through her traumatic process, Serena found her calling. She wants to give back by making high quality wigs for cancer patients. January 2023, she started pursuing her degree in cosmetology at The Paul Mitchell School. She received her degree in just 11 months, despite battling side effects from her stem cell transplant and a 7-month bout with pneumonia. She just moved to North Carolina to live with brother Bryan and near brother Derek and his wife Europe. So she has a support network. Serena expects to begin work soon in a salon to hone her skills, then eventually open a wig boutique to realize her goal.

Throughout her treatment and transplant, Serena felt strongly that she would allow her hair to fall out in the normal course and no one should shave their head specifically for her. She wanted to just be herself and she felt everyone else should do the same.

That said, now in their 25th year, St. Baldrick's Foundation holds their annual head shaving fundraiser for childhood cancer research and my high school classmate, Mike Tucker, has shaved his head for 15 years.  I have sponsored Mike over the years and he adopted Serena as an Honored Kid (with her permission) immediately when he heard the news. Last year, another classmate (Frank Coyle) joined the effort for St. Baldrick's in honor of Serena. But this year feels different, and I want to do more than just donate. I convinced Serena that I should contribute a little more and shave my head for St. Baldrick's. So, . . . as a licensed cosmetologist, SERENA WILL SHAVE MY HEAD.

As I mentioned above, this is ONE TIME ONLY. So, I ask for your support. I will join my two high school classmates at the St. Baldrick's event in northern Atlanta on March 23 to fundraise for childhood cancer research. St. Baldrick's has a phenomenal track record for funding research, and Serena is living proof. I set a lofty goal of $15,000. Please help me reach my goal to further the St. Baldrick's effort, because it works.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Here's the link to the secure site where you can donate:"

https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants...33576/2024
(03-06-2024, 10:15 AM)Replying to Buzzfan®