Forum Jump:

Master's Question - Been a while since I went, but
I'm going to the Par 3 tomorrow.  If you were going, how early would you get there?  I do want to do some shopping and I'm taking my nephew who has never been, and I want to walk some of the course and take in the practice round.  Would you get there right at 8?
You might as well go early. It will be packed at 8, people lose their minds about getting in and shopping.
(04-09-2024, 08:29 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

Well shit.  I was afraid of that.  Last time I went to the Par 3 was probably 12 years ago, and it was busy, but I don't remember it being over the top.  Have a 3 hour drive, so maybe we can time it after the first wave of nutbags.  Maybe a lot of the crazies got their shopping in over the weekend at the women's amateur.  I couldn't believe they were already selling Master's stuff.
(04-09-2024, 08:34 AM)Replying to dncdawg

Well shit.  I was afraid of that.  Last time I went to the Par 3 was probably 12 years ago, and it was busy, but I don't remember it being over the top.  Have a 3 hour drive, so maybe we can time it after the first wave of nutbags.  Maybe a lot of the crazies got their shopping in over the weekend at the women's amateur.  I couldn't believe they were already selling Master's stuff.
[/quote]

The whole "shopping" thing has really gone over the top.  I see people walking to their cars with HUGE armloads of bags from the shops.  They have to be spending thousands of dollars.  I don't think it will matter really if you don't get there right at 8 o'clock.  Traffic seems to settle down around 9:00 to 9:30 so that must be when the initial rush to get in ends.  My buddy who used to work the main scoreboard said it was crazy how many people were there lined up at 7:00 waiting to get in.  He said it was amazing to watch them come in and go straight to the golf shop.  

I don't know how old your nephew is but I would say to emphasize to your nephew that he needs to enjoy the day and not get stressed about shopping or being there when the gates open.  Take in the course and the facilities and see how perfectly the place is run, that is the thing he will remember for a long time if he is old enough to notice such things.  There really aren't any great memories to be made waiting in line to get into the golf shop and then shopping and checking out.  You have all day and the shops are restocked constantly so there will be plenty to buy whenever you go in.  The par 3 starts at noon and after it starts the main course is pretty empty, that can be a good time to walk the course if you want to see it better.  I don't know if they shut down the shops early or not but, if not, during the par 3 might be a good time to shop.  I've been to the par 3 a few times a long time ago and didn't really love it.  It has turned into a totally "fun" thing now with none of the golfers taking it very seriously.  They let their kids putt sometimes and they goof off a lot.  They used to shut down beer sales at 2:00 on Wednesday but I don't know if they do that anymore.   

Relax and have fun.
(04-09-2024, 09:05 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

[/quote]

The whole "shopping" thing has really gone over the top.  I see people walking to their cars with HUGE armloads of bags from the shops.  They have to be spending thousands of dollars.  I don't think it will matter really if you don't get there right at 8 o'clock.  Traffic seems to settle down around 9:00 to 9:30 so that must be when the initial rush to get in ends.  My buddy who used to work the main scoreboard said it was crazy how many people were there lined up at 7:00 waiting to get in.  He said it was amazing to watch them come in and go straight to the golf shop.  

I don't know how old your nephew is but I would say to emphasize to your nephew that he needs to enjoy the day and not get stressed about shopping or being there when the gates open.  Take in the course and the facilities and see how perfectly the place is run, that is the thing he will remember for a long time if he is old enough to notice such things.  There really aren't any great memories to be made waiting in line to get into the golf shop and then shopping and checking out.  You have all day and the shops are restocked constantly so there will be plenty to buy whenever you go in.  The par 3 starts at noon and after it starts the main course is pretty empty, that can be a good time to walk the course if you want to see it better.  I don't know if they shut down the shops early or not but, if not, during the par 3 might be a good time to shop.  I've been to the par 3 a few times a long time ago and didn't really love it.  It has turned into a totally "fun" thing now with none of the golfers taking it very seriously.  They let their kids putt sometimes and they goof off a lot.  They used to shut down beer sales at 2:00 on Wednesday but I don't know if they do that anymore.   

Relax and have fun.
[/quote]

Yeah, we're both really super chill about the whole thing.  He's in his 30s.  The shopping is just because I want to buy like 4 things.  I think we'll drop that down on the list of priority after seeing some guys take some swings and have a sandwich or two.  Thanks for the advice.
Like JC said the shopping is insane. I’d go in after the early lines and enjoy your day..hit the shop on the way out, lines are insane this year. I’m good friends with the director of merchandising, they’ve overbought the last few years to make sure they have plenty of stuff through the weekend.
we got there around 10 ands as JC said traffic wasn't too bad comming in from I20 on Washington Rd parked accross from Kroger's which is a couple of blocks away, it is a longer walk than it looks because the North entrance is pretty far off Washington. The line to buy merch was so long we didn't even bother to get it in, had to be at least an hour wait or more, unfortunatly about 45 minutes after we got there they blew the sirens to clear the course due to lighting in the area so we quick got our pimento cheese sammies and souviner cups and walked around a little bit the left. word of warning if you park on the lots near Berkman Rd and Washington try to exit back on Washington DO NOT go down Berkman, people crossing Berkman to get to the lots further down slow traffic to a standstill, it tooks us over an hour to go little over a mile

also this is the first time we have been back in 15 years and the crowds were exponentially larger than in the past to the point that they were so larger we would not go back even though we love the event and it has long family ties to both her's and mine's family
(04-09-2024, 09:52 AM)Replying to Sugarhilldawg

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but we'll see how it goes.  I guess I'll have to cherish the "olden" days nearly 20 years ago when they were a little more judicial with the ticket sales.
Enjoy every second and dont get stressed.
(04-09-2024, 10:04 AM)Replying to dncdawg

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but we'll see how it goes.  I guess I'll have to cherish the "olden" days nearly 20 years ago when they were a little more judicial with the ticket sales.
[/quote]

I haven't been out yet this year, supposed to go Friday, but I don't think the crowd is any bigger than any other year since Tiger showed up.  I think the difference is the makeup of the crowd these days and how everyone wants to be at the same place on the course at the same time.  Again,  the whole shopping thing has gone completely off the chain and people are crowded around the shops and concession stands.  On the course, everyone wants to be at Amen Corner, #1 tee, #18 green and #16 green so those areas are insanely crowded.  The people I have talked to who are in town for a practice round day seem to be almost clinically insane about going on the course.  They all plan on being there when the gates open and staying until they are told to leave.  The traffic issues leaving are a direct result of everyone staying until the end of the day and all leaving at one time.  Traffic around the course during the day, even at 5:30 when I was on my way home yesterday was no big deal at all.  At 6:30 to 7:00 it was a nightmare.  I think a lot of these practice round people are first time and only time attendees so they want to get every second they can on the course.