Forum Jump:

One of the guys I work with all the time had a close call yesterday
Jerry had been dispatched to a domestic altercation in progress when a vehicle disregarded his blue lights and siren and turned right in front of him. Jerry t-boned the other vehicle and the passenger in the other vehicle was seriously injured. Jerry ended up with a broke arm and leg and a knee that sustained some damage.
There are some people on the highways these days that don't need to be driving.

[Image: 441483835_786335173602102_76612262194090...e=6657D49F]
[Image: 416038776_10224235589974255_574664521183...e=66809096]
Far too many drivers think they are playing a video game and think they only one who is a real person when they get behind the wheel of a car.
(05-25-2024, 09:43 AM)Replying to Booneville Dawg
wow. damn......prayers for a speedy recovery for all
You are correct.  Lots of idiots on the roads.  Tragic incident in Orlando this week, a young mother and two of her children turning when a car ran a red light and T- boned them.  The mother was killed, and thankfully the children were uninjured.  The 25 year old female driver who ran the red light at 10:30 A.M., was charged with DWI, blew a .38, vehicular homicide, and several lesser charges.  Told the responding officer she’s a bartender and on her way to work.  Tragic! 3 children, under age of 6, now without their mom.
(05-25-2024, 10:44 AM)Replying to WRGA Dog

That accident scenario is probably the most frequent of all accidents... a car is either going through a red light/intersection and somebody runs the red light and hits them, or a car is turning left across traffic and they turn right in front of a car who hits them. Cars often get t-boned and take the full force of the collision and very serious injuries and sometimes casualties often occur.

This issue is probably "the" most motivating factor toward getting roundabouts implemented, and I mean everywhere. Roundabouts virtually eliminate those types of accidents... which, again, are the most frequent. On top of that they help keep traffic moving and not keep people sitting needlessly at a red light when they could be moving toward their destination. Traffic lights actually CREATE congestion, far better than they manage traffic.

We have a three-way intersection just down from us, on the busy road/highway where our subdivision intersection meets. I cannot tell you how many times we have seen an accident down at that three way. Somebody pulls out in front of somebody and it is often a very violent accident, as the speed limit on the highway is 55 in that stretch. The Georgia DOT is working on a long-term project to four-lane that highway, and in their plans they have a roundabout projected for that intersection, as well as the next one just up the road, and even one other one further up the road. I'm elated to see that being planned. But there are so many other intersections where they're just redesigning the stupid traffic lights. Why in the world they're doing that bottles my mind.
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
(05-25-2024, 09:43 AM)Replying to Booneville Dawg

Glad his injuries aren't more serious. Coulda been if that was his hade that cracked the windshield.
"But, we didn't come up here to take shots. We came up here to throw 'em." - Kirby Smart 11/13/2021
So sorry this happened. With a nephew on GHP, we are always praying for the safety of our firefighters and LEO! With the idiot drivers out there, y’all need it!
Roundabouts work IF people understand them. We have been covered up with them and DOT does the stupidest things. Installing too Small ones. If one highway is a busy one, say state highway and the intersection is with a county road, at peak hours (going/coming to work/home) on the state road will virtually close the county road. The busy highway travelers go too fast and those on the county road cannot merge. Additionally, people don't know how to use them. too many just stop when they should be moving on through. Stupid. If the state/county put up speeder cameras, most of that crap would stop. The concept is good, but people don't consider or understand them. Personally, I'd prefer lights, at least that way you know you can eventually get through. But that's just me.
(05-25-2024, 03:36 PM)Replying to Beatledawg

Concur.   We have several in the NWGA and Chattanooga are that I go through regularly.  A few of them work well.  Several others are a total cluster****.
(05-25-2024, 03:36 PM)Replying to Beatledawg

It may take time for SOME people to learn how to use them. But it is something that has to be done. Red lights create too many problems. The accidents with cars crossing lanes of traffic is one big problem. Holding up traffic and literally creating congestion is another. There was a study done in France that showed that roundabouts reduced idle time/sitting at an intersection by 60%. That is a phenomenal statistic... and I believe it.

We have a few roundabouts in our area that are in fairly busy areas, but not the REALLY busy areas. They have been working well, with extremely rare exception. I saw a woman driving a mini-van go through one and she... being actually IN the roundabout... was stopping at every single entrance... and there was no traffic coming in from either direction. I have no clue what even entered her mind to think she should do that.

Sarasota, Florida has put several roundabouts in some extremely busy areas, all of them actually on U.S. Hwy. 41, right smack through the middle of downtown Sarasota. Talk about a busy area.. and they work great. The busiest of them all had to be built as a rather large circle. These photos, below, are of that one particular big one. I think they are using some lights similar to like what you see controlling traffic coming down on-ramps onto interstates during really busy traffic periods.

That was a really nasty intersection when they used just traffic lights, backing up traffic in all directions. I don't know if you might be familiar with that intersection. That is where you turn to go out to Longboat Key.

[Image: dc59dae2-bf60-45c0-9ff0-6e446ef87ebe_1140x641.jpg]

[Image: Drone1Roundy_t1100.jpeg]
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”