Forum Jump:

SS from LaGrange's Shrimp and Grits
I have had shrimp and grits all over the south. I will try them if I see them on a menu. Have had good and bad.That said, one of my favorites is The Blue Marlin in Columbia SC. You need to have stone ground grits imo. They use grits from the Adluh mill across the street. I buy some every time I pass through Columbia. (Put them in the freezer).

Also, serve with crispy french bread. If not, don't focking bother making them. It's a must.
Use good ingredients also.
Shrimp: My favorite is Georgia White Shrimp. Next is Florida Panhandle Gulf Shrimp. Don't overcook the shrimp!

Here is the original posted on Adluh's site.

Blue Marlin Shrimp and Grits

1 gallon Chicken Stock water and bouillon cubes can be substituted
4 tablespoons Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon White Pepper
1 3/4 pounds Adluh Stone-ground White Grits
2 cups Heavy Cream
2 cups Whole Milk
1 stick Butter
1/2 pound Tasso Ham finely diced
1/2 cup Adluh Plain Flour
3 cups Chicken Stock hot
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
6 pounds Medium Size Shrimp peeled
1/2 stick Butter
4 half-inch slices per person Andouille Sausage
Salt, Pepper, Old Bay seasoning, Fresh Parsley to taste

For the grits, use a heavy bottom stockpot and a large whisk. Bring 1 gallon chicken stock, 4 tablespoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon white pepper to a boil. Add grits and reduce heat to medium low. Whisk steadily until grits and liquid are combined. Cook 30-45 minutes on medium low heat, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Once the grits begin to soften to the bite, whisk in 2 cups milk and 2 cups cream. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. If you have leftovers, you can pour into a shallow pan and refrigerate over night and make grit cakes the next day. To make grits cakes, cut grits with a cookie cutter, dredge in seasoned flour and pan fry on a griddle or saute pan in butter or olive oil. For the gravy, in a saucepot, melt 1 stick of butter and saute ham for 2 minutes to release flavors. Whisk in 1/2 cup flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. This is a roux. Slowly add 3 cups hot chicken stock to the roux and whisk continuously to prevent lumps of flour. Simmer for 5 minutes and taste. For the shimp and sausage, heat 1/2 stick of butter until sizzling in pan. Add andouille sausage and let cook for one minute so the sausage releases it's fat. Add shrimp. Saute the shrimp until they are translucent. Season with salt, pepper, Old Bay and fresh parsley. To plate, place grits in a bowl, the shrimp and sausage in the middle of the grits and ladle the gravy on top of the shrimp. Garnish with fresh parsley.

As you may notice, this makes a shitload.
Here it is cut down to a reasonable portion. This is what I go by:

BLUE MARLIN SHRIMP AND GRITS

Grits, (see recipe below)

Tasso Gravy (see recipe below)

2 ounces unsalted butter (4 tablespoons)

6 -8 ounces andouille sausage, diced

1-1/2 pound large, raw shrimp, shelled

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Old Bay ® Seasoning, to taste

Chopped fresh parsley

Prepare Grits and Tasso Gravy as directed below. In a heavy sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter until sizzling then add the andouille sausage. Cook 1 minute until the sausage releases its fat then add shrimp. Sauté shrimp until they become pink and slightly opaque. Season with the salt, pepper, Old Bay Seasoning and parsley. To serve, spoon grits into individual bowls. Place sautéed shrimp and sausage in the middle of the grits; ladle gravy on top. Garnish with parsley. Serve at once and enjoy. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Grits

1/2 gallon chicken stock (2 quarts) or equal amount of water and bouillon cubes

1 ounce kosher salt (2 tablespoons)

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

14 ounces stone-ground white Adluh grits

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup whole milk

In a heavy bottom stockpot bring chicken stock, salt and pepper to a boil. Whisk in grits then reduce heat to medium low. Mix steadily until grits and liquid are combined. Cook for 30-45 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring frequently, to prevent grits from burning at the bottom of the pot. Once the grits begin to soften to the bite, whisk in milk and cream. The grits are very creamy but will thicken up a bit if you continue to cook them. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.

Tasso Gravy

2 ounces butter (4 tablespoons)

3 ounces Tasso ham, finely diced (See Kitchen Notes below)

2 ounces all-purpose flour (4 tablespoons)

1-1/2 cups hot chicken stock

1 teaspoon kosher salt

In a heavy saucepot over medium heat, melt butter and sauté the ham for 2 minutes to release flavors. Whisk in flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, to make a roux. Slowly add hot chicken stock to the roux, whisking continuously to prevent lumps of flour. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes then taste to correct seasonings, if necessary.

By the way, here is the Adluh Recipe site. Lots of good stuff there.

Adluh

Enjoy!
[Image: thankstodd.jpg]