Forum Jump:

Diamond Dawgs played it close in the regional. But it could've definitely been worse.
#5 ranked Arkansas got eliminated by well-known juggernaut Southeast Missouri State... AT HOME... in the Fayetteville regional.

South Carolina got eliminated by the other well-known juggernaut, James Madison University.

Texas got eliminated by the Louisiana "Ragin' Cajuns".

Dallas Baptist (actually a regular baseball power these days) got eliminated Grand Canyon University (sorry, but that sounds like one of those online-only schools).
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
(06-03-2024, 09:26 AM)Replying to RockmartDawg

what a year for Grand Cans.....sweet 16 in hoops and a super Reg
glad the Dawgs survived, our pitching is hurting a bit
The team with the best record hasn’t won very many World Series lately..baseball can be a fickle game.

Beat NC State.
Cool
(06-03-2024, 10:02 AM)Replying to McDonoughDawg

I think that is one of the things that makes baseball so much fun to follow.  If your team can make it to the post season you have a chance.  Hitting and pitching has to click at the same time for a couple weeks.
I'm just glad we'll have a few days off. We're going to get thin at pitching if some of these games go long like that one last night. Sorry to see Goldstein couldn't come back. Glad he didn't try to fight through anything.
(06-03-2024, 10:06 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

I think that is one of the things that makes baseball so much fun to follow.  If your team can make it to the post season you have a chance.  Hitting and pitching has to click at the same time for a couple weeks.
[/quote]

Yes.  Dawgs were a juggernaut in 2008, almost a team of destiny, then went cold when Cal State Fullerton was on fire.  One game away form a National Championship, then dropped two.
(06-03-2024, 12:23 PM)Replying to Dawgalways

[/quote]

Yes.  Dawgs were a juggernaut in 2008, almost a team of destiny, then went cold when Cal State Fullerton was on fire.  One game away form a National Championship, then dropped two.
[/quote]

Fresno State
I was surprised when I read that this is the first time since 2008 that the Dawgs have gone to a super regional. Man, that was 16 years ago. Have we been "fair to middlin'" that long?

I guess it speaks to the new manager, in his very first season and with no significant change to the roster having taken place.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
(06-03-2024, 12:29 PM)Replying to RockmartDawg

aren't there several transfers? The Texas Tech Guy? Multiple pitchers?

(06-03-2024, 12:26 PM)Replying to Toasty B

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fresno State
[/quote]

We were also up double digits in game 2
(06-03-2024, 12:31 PM)Replying to Toasty B

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fresno State
[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess it is possible. I wasn't aware of that. But that doesn't mean it isn't so. I haven't followed them that closely, I guess.

(06-03-2024, 12:37 PM)Replying to RockmartDawg

here's an article on the xfers

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/a-ref...eee92.html

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fresno State
[/quote]

Oops !!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fresno State
[/quote]

[/quote]

Crappy Nike bats cost us a NC.  I never saw so many fly balls to the warning track.  Nike is a marketing company that makes shitty products with slave labor in China and pays college coaches and AAs millions to use their crap.
Amen. I still have a Hate on for Nike products. Those shit bats. How we have a college program and guessing about bats I don't know.
Travel ball kids have more knowledge than our damn AD's about bats.
(06-03-2024, 01:36 PM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

[/quote]

Fresno State
[/quote]

[/quote]

Crappy Nike bats cost us a NC.  I never saw so many fly balls to the warning track.  Nike is a marketing company that makes shitty products with slave labor in China and pays college coaches and AAs millions to use their crap.
[/quote]

I can't stand Nike. Surely we can find another sponsor who pays as well or better. As far as bats are concerned, we should be using whatever bats we want, regardless of sponsorship. Sponsorship agreements should be written as such.

(06-03-2024, 01:55 PM)Replying to RockmartDawg

Fresno State
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't stand Nike. Surely we can find another sponsor who pays as well or better. As far as bats are concerned, we should be using whatever bats we want, regardless of sponsorship. Sponsorship agreements should be written as such.
[/quote]

We did after that season.  I remember the players making comments like "we saw them swinging Eastons and knew it was gonna be a challenge."

Think it was a couple of years after that where Nike stopped making bats.  The team has been swinging Marucci Cat X bats this year.  Lil Viper has a Cat 7 version of that bat and they have some pop.  His ole man has hit a couple of diggers at batting practice with it, lol.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fresno State
[/quote]

[/quote]

And freaking "no thumb" as I called him.  The announcers wouldn't stop talking about their outfielder who had to have thumb surgery and wasn't able to use it during that series.  Every 10 damn minutes they brought it up.  And he did have a great series against us.
(06-03-2024, 02:17 PM)Replying to viper2369

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We did after that season.  I remember the players making comments like "we saw them swinging Eastons and knew it was gonna be a challenge."

Think it was a couple of years after that where Nike stopped making bats.  The team has been swinging Marucci Cat X bats this year.  Lil Viper has a Cat 7 version of that bat and they have some pop.  His ole man has hit a couple of diggers at batting practice with it, lol.
[/quote]

Heh heh... well, ole' Pops has got to test it out for buddy boy, right?   Wink

Good news on ditching the bats. That may very well have cost us a CWS title... although, I guess one could argue that we used the bats to get there. Regardless, if bats are subpar, you're definitely going to be at a big disadvantage. Stupid Nike.

(06-03-2024, 01:04 PM)Replying to Toasty B

here's an article on the xfers

https://www.redandblack.com/sports/a-ref...eee92.html
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Looks like we did bring in a few. Is that the work of the new manager, as well? Or, had that already started before he got here?

I forgot about the crappy Nike bat controversy. Immediately following, I think our AD went to Nike and said we didn't want to use them anymore and we needed a waiver for our contract.
(06-03-2024, 12:29 PM)Replying to RockmartDawg

It took Stricklin 5 years to finally go above .500.  Those 1st 4 years were middle of the pack or just under middle in the SEC. 

Then hosted 2 regionals that we lost in.  2018 we won the first 2, then Duke came back to win the final 2 and advance.  2019 FSU came into Athens and knocked us out. 

2020 we had a great pitching staff and off to a 14-4 start, only for the world to go stupid and the season get canceled.  We were on our way to Gainesville to play #1 ranked Florida to finally see what we really had.  Got turned around.  Then went downhill the 2 years after that.  Overall above .500, but not in the SEC.

(06-03-2024, 02:21 PM)Replying to RockmartDawg

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Heh heh... well, ole' Pops has got to test it out for buddy boy, right?   Wink

Good news on ditching the bats. That may very well have cost us a CWS title... although, I guess one could argue that we used the bats to get there. Regardless, if bats are subpar, you're definitely going to be at a big disadvantage. Stupid Nike.

[/quote]

I also seem to recall that was around the time they messed around with the balls as well.  To give them less "pop".  There weren't as many HRs that year overall.  Those games were fairly close in Omaha from what I recall.