Forum Jump:

JimBfishN Collards (via Keef)
Jim B Fish’n Collards
2 sided sink....wash both sides as you would a pot. Peel leaves off stems (no stems) into sink. Soak/ rinse greens 3 times from one side to the other in sinks full over water. I drain each side and fill again. Some greens can have a lot of sand in them....learned the hard way not to skip the 3 rinse.
Meanwhile braise hog jowls, hocks, bacon...whatever pork....then add a chopped onion and saute in the pork grease 'till soft/clear. Before onions brown add maybe 1/8 water to the size of pot. Stuff washed collard leaves in there from sink. Then cook 1 hour and stir occasionally until greens are cooked down dark green and amount of water looks right (you can always add more).
Then salt, garlic powder, and pepper....then a little white vinegar, and sprinkle on a little sugar......in amounts where you'll never taste any of the above individually. Cook on low for as an hour or two longer stirring occasionally.....no onions will be seen when "right." Hocks should fall apart. If I have some red pepper flakes....may sprinkle some of them in there if I feel like it.
Stir and taste with above w/ above seasonings and manage the water so there's never too much and its just right.....if you ain't tasting you ain't cooking.
Serve with sweet tea, hoppin' john and cracklin' cornbread. Butter and syrup available for the bread. Hardcore will want buttermilk (will stir some sour cream in some 2% for those crackers).
[Image: thankstodd.jpg]