Forum Jump:

Powers out a Casa Puninkin.. GA Power says it’s due Debby.
No wind, small rain.  Shit goes out at least once a month.
Debby downer?
Buy a generator. Your power will never go off again.
One thing I have learned about power since living in this house (now for more than 17 years) is that having power cables underground makes an enormous difference. All of our power cables in this area (not counting the high voltage stuff) are underground. I've never had power so stable as it is here, and it is not even close. I honestly don't remember the last time we had a true power outage. In my 17 years here I am 99.9999% certain that I could count on one hand the number of power outages we have had. I have seen what I call "blinks" to occur, and even they are relatively rare. For that I bought two battery backups and put one where our desktop PC, printer, and scanner are located. The other I put in the cabinet where our living room TV, Roku box, blu ray player, internet modem and router are located... just to stabilize power so that they don't ever incur a power blink/reset.

I see/hear stuff now and again about Georgia Power putting power lines underground in certain areas. I have heard some people around Rockmart talking about them doing it there. That's the best thing to happen with power in a long time.
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
(08-07-2024, 09:42 AM)Replying to RockmartDawg

We are in an older neighborhood with overhead lines and lots of BIG trees.  Losing power is a fairly common thing.  One tree or one large limb falling can knock out power to a large area.  I bought a generator a little over a year ago and so far haven't had to use it (I hope that trend continues).  I would love for our lines to be underground but I don't think there is any way to do that where I am.
Underground here too, makes a huge difference..you really don’t realize how much “cleaner” it makes an area look until you venture out amongst the places with above ground utilities..
Cool
(08-07-2024, 10:27 AM)Replying to McDonoughDawg

Our neighborhood was developed in the late '40s/early '50s.  I guess it never occurred to anyone back then to put power or phone lines underground.
(08-07-2024, 10:32 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

Our neighborhood was developed in the late '40s/early '50s.  I guess it never occurred to anyone back then to put power or phone lines underground.
[/quote]

I think it began to be a thing in the 70’s and 80’s..
Cool
Hope it gets restored fast..........
(08-07-2024, 08:05 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83
It will when you run out of gas/propane. Had to run mine to keep freezers/fridges cold. Was out for over 6 hours.

when
(08-07-2024, 01:05 PM)Replying to Doc Hollidawg
It will when you run out of gas/propane. Had to run mine to keep freezers/fridges cold. Was out for over 6 hours.

when
[/quote]

Mine will run about 12 hours on a full tank (about 5 gallons).  Back in the ice storm of 2014 power was out over such a wide area around here that people couldn't get gas for generators because the gas stations didn't have power for the pumps.  Neighbor took a pickup load of 5 gal gas cans down Hwy 25 South towards Statesboro to find an open gas station.  He found a big station open around Waynesboro.  He bought something like 120 gallons of gas and brought it back for friends.  He said he was nervous as a cat driving back with that much gas in the bed of his truck.
(08-07-2024, 09:48 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

We are in an older neighborhood with overhead lines and lots of BIG trees.  Losing power is a fairly common thing.  One tree or one large limb falling can knock out power to a large area.  I bought a generator a little over a year ago and so far haven't had to use it (I hope that trend continues).  I would love for our lines to be underground but I don't think there is any way to do that where I am.
[/quote]

I was in my last house where I lived in Rockmart when the big blizzard of 1993 took place. We lived inside the city limits of little Rockmart, and we were without power for 3 days. It was exactly as you said... trees down into lines, limbs into lines, etc. I want to say that house was most likely built in the 1970s, and all of the power there was on poles. That was true, then, for the entirety of Polk County, I am sure. Out in the county areas people were without power for more than a week. I remember some folk eventually having to take stuff out of freezers and packing it into snow banks.

The subdivision where I live now was built starting in 1993 (I think that's right... 1992 or 1993). They put everything underground from the start. It is like that in adjacent subdivisions, too. Georgia Power is going out and putting all power lines underground, everywhere. It is just a monumental project that is going to take an extremely long time. It is kind of on par with AT&T putting fiber into every home. They're doing that with all new builds and are little-by-little going out into existing areas and installing it. We don't yet have that here in our subdivision. I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. My son used to live in a house that I am guessing was probably built in the 1980s. AT&T had gotten out in that area and had installed fiber to the home, and that was done long after it was built. They, too, will get it everywhere, eventually. I may not see it in my lifetime, though.
John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

1 Timothy 2:5-6

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the witness for this proper time.

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”
My previous house had underground power lines..never lost power in the 15 years I lived in it.