Forum Jump:

Some context on school shootings after yesterdays tragedy...
This incident was a few miles up the road from me...so, it's been burning up the airwaves in Oconee/Athens area.  

First and foremost, this is horrible.  In no world should any teacher, student or parent ever have to wonder if them or their kid will come home from school.  It's also such a shame that 4 people lost their lives yesterday and at least 9+ were injured.  These things cannot be undone and I pray that those families can find peace.  

Having said the disclaimers above, and honestly NOT trying to make this a political post (very difficult, but, I'm gonna try), there is some context that needs to be presented:

- Despite the "23 school shootings" reported in 2024 there have only been 5 STUDENTS killed.  1 is too many and there were additional administration/resource officers and others that died.   
- on average, 22 teenagers die each week of drug overdose.  22 per WEEK!!!  That's almost 1200 per year.  
- Almost 200 kids die each year in pedestrian accidents
- Right at 40 die each year from bicycle accidents
- Almost 1000 die as a passenger in their parents (or other drivers) car.  
-  Suicide rates averaged 13.4 per 100,000 kids last year alone.  

The point of all this carnage...while these shootings are horrific and a black mark every time, there is a recency bias and an extreme sensationalization of these events.    Our kids are safer at school than almost anywhere they could be.  These tragedies are extremely rare and your child is literally more likely to get killed on their bike, hit by a car, or die from a host of other causes.   

None of this makes it better or right for those who have lost their lives.  Nor does it mean there shouldn't be more safety precautions put into place.   But, evil is out there folks!   As my grandmother used to say, "where there's a will, there's a way".
sadly schools are a soft target, we need to change that
Thanks DawgNatty...
(09-05-2024, 08:56 AM)Replying to Milldawg

Agreed, and there are many ways to do that.   

Additionally, it's very disturbing that this little monster made threats last year and was targeted by the FBI and still pulled this off.   If you threaten some shit...you should be watched VERY closely and probably not allowed in a regular school environment.  period.

ALL “GUN FREE” zones are a soft target.

It’s like a billboard to a bad guy, whether mentally ill or just evil, here are a bunch of defenseless victims/targets.
(09-05-2024, 09:01 AM)Replying to DawgNatty

Additionally, it's very disturbing that this little monster made threats last year and was targeted by the FBI and still pulled this off.   If you threaten some shit...you should be watched VERY closely and probably not allowed in a regular school environment.  period.
[/quote]

yeah, that was a hell of a realization. Not sure what can be done there, but sure seems like something should have happened.

[/quote]

If he made threats he should have been arrested.

[/quote]

If the FBI knew…..I can’t finish the comment here.
(09-05-2024, 09:07 AM)Replying to Shadrach

[/quote]

If he made threats he should have been arrested.
[/quote]

Right?   It doesn't really add up.  But, the FBI released the statement, kinda dumb all around.

[/quote]

I've thought about that and wonder what exactly do you do?  We need to create, or recreate, asylums for the criminally insane where evil little monsters like this can be put away before they do something.  As things are, there is really nothing that can be done until these sickos commit a crime.  

It seems like making sure all exterior doors at a school are locked so that no one can come in unless they come through the main front door is the most basic precaution.  Maybe make the main entrance to a school sort of an "airlock" type situation where someone has to come in to a secured area and then be granted access to the school as a whole by being buzzed through an interior door.  It wouldn't be foolproof but it would stop anyone from walking in with a visible firearm.
(09-05-2024, 09:13 AM)Replying to JC-DAWG83

[/quote]

I've thought about that and wonder what exactly do you do?  We need to create, or recreate, asylums for the criminally insane where evil little monsters like this can be put away before they do something.  As things are, there is really nothing that can be done until these sickos commit a crime.  

It seems like making sure all exterior doors at a school are locked so that no one can come in unless they come through the main front door is the most basic precaution.  Maybe make the main entrance to a school sort of an "airlock" type situation where someone has to come in to a secured area and then be granted access to the school as a whole by being buzzed through an interior door.  It wouldn't be foolproof but it would stop anyone from walking in with a visible firearm.
[/quote]
Making terroristic threats IS a crime.  That's what I don't understand in this case.
I don't know man. Mental Health is a crisis in our country and I blame social media, and the media, in general for it. Flip'm someone the bird in traffic can get you killed these days. Wearing the wrong political shirt can get you punched in the face. People have lose their damn minds and kids today are as lost as ever. The world is a f'd up place these days. and I don't buy into either side of the gun debate. I own 4 guns, but honestly, it doesnt make me feel any safer. In my own home, maybe but not out on public. I don't know. I live close to Winder too. I'm just sad today.
(09-05-2024, 09:25 AM)Replying to 690 S Lumpkin

a lot of good points, very sad here too, this one is hitting me hard, my kids just finished HS but this is so tragic. Just don't know what to think other than people went to school yesterday fully expecting to come home

this school didn't seem to be a soft target, though

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_gzfUxMNyy/...15Vs-bgIYw
Some people want us to focus on issues that affect a very small percentage of us to distract us from the issues that impact all of us. Those same people have a lot to gain from this tactic.
(09-05-2024, 09:28 AM)Replying to Tomato Sandwich

yeah, I know what you mean.....

(09-05-2024, 09:28 AM)Replying to Toasty B

this school didn't seem to be a soft target, though

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_gzfUxMNyy/...15Vs-bgIYw
[/quote]

yeah he saved lives. here in Forsyth county there are armed resource officers at every school

Without situational training, owning a gun only makes you slightly safer and able to protect loved ones.

There is a world of difference in hitting a paper target at 21 feet at an a controlled range with a perfect stance and perfectly gripped firearm than drawing and hitting a moving target trying to do you or a loved one harm.
(09-05-2024, 09:28 AM)Replying to Tomato Sandwich
Exactly!!!!

Shutting down the insane asylums and putting the mentally ill out on the street is a big problem.  The psychiatric industry normalizing bizarre behavior and declaring that drugs and treatment will make psycho people perfectly safe and functioning members of society has filled life with crazy people who should not be out among normal people.  Parents keeping their kids locked in the house staring at screens all day so the kids won't be outside where the imagined dangers are has created two generations of kids who have little to no social skills or ability to resolve conflicts with other people.  Humans left to their own devices are mean, selfish, violent creatures.  There has to be rules and enforcement of rules in society and there has to be swift and certain consequences for breaking those rules.

I can agree with most of your post.  Mental health is an issue that is simply NOT being addressed much.  I (just my opinion) think there are two areas where we are failing miserably.  ONe, parents DO NOT discipline their kids anymore...period.  Full stop!  Half the folks I know these days the kids run the place.  Corporal punishment worked and is now a complete thing of the past.  Two, much of the mental health issues have been addressed with drugs.  My son at UGA says 80% of the girls are on anxiety medication!!!  I'm not saying some folks don't need it...but damn.  As your message says...people have lost their minds and the world is F'ed up.  

Best we not discuss the gun debate.   I fully buy into one side and feel SIGNIFICANTLY safer knowing I own one...or ten.  

Either way, we can agree it's an extremely sad situation.   The context needs to be there though and thus the reason for my post.   This is a drop of water in swimming pool compared to some of the things that don't make the news.