Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #9 - Amicalola Falls. 1,020
Georgia Natural Wonder #9 - Amicalola Falls

Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge is an 829-acre Georgia state park located between Ellijay and Dahlonega in Dawsonville, Georgia. The park's name is derived from a Cherokee language word meaning "tumbling waters". The park is home to Amicalola Falls, a 729-foot waterfall that is the highest in Georgia. However, an analysis conducted by the World Waterfall Data base suggests that the main part of the falls is 429 ft in height, followed by a prolonged gently sloping run in which the flow drops another 279 ft. It is considered to be one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia.

[Image: D4oqk6t.jpg?1]

Little was known by European Americans about the falls before the 19th century. Until 1832, the Cherokee, an Iroquoian-speaking tribe believed to have migrated in ancient times from the Great Lakes region, controlled a large territory that included this area of the state park. That year they signed the Treaty of New Echota with the United States, which forced the Cherokee to remove into the Ozarks in Indian Territory west of the Mississippi River.

[Image: 0A7FwU1.jpg?1]

They called their mass removal and overland journey the Trail of Tears, during which many people died of the thousands traveling. The land that comprised the falls was so remote that a Cherokee woman living near Amicalola Creek was missed by the Georgia Guard in 1838 as they searched for Cherokee stragglers to force west on the Trail of Tears. She continued living in the area until the late 1840's.

[Image: VnR7DoO.jpg?1]

The first written account of the falls was by William Williamson, who was exploring the area seeking land to claim in the Sixth Georgia Land Lottery. Williamson wrote: In the course of my route in the Mountains I discovered a Water Fall perhaps the greatest in the World the most majestic Scene that I have ever witnessed or heard of the Creek passes over the mountain & the fall I think can't be less than Six hundred Yards. The Mountain is at least three fourths of a mile high. I made great exertions to get on the summit but the ascent was so great that I was completely exhausted by the time I reached half way. My position was such that I had a perfect view of the entire Fall.

[Image: Cp6ttJC.jpg?1]

An unknown settler was given this land after the lottery. He decided not to live on it because the terrain proved to be too rugged. In 1852 a settler named Bartley Crane built a grist mill near the site of the present-day visitors center. As settlers arrived, a Methodist-Episcopal campground was established near the falls for revivals on December 19, 1860 and was originally designated Ammicalola Camp Ground (note the extra "M"). During The Civil War the area remained in near anarchy until Union troops arrived in 1865. John Crane, Bartley's son, continued to run the mill after his father's death, adding a general store to serve his customers. Eventually, about the turn of the century, he ended the mill but continued the store. In 1911 John Crane sold his property to the state. Amicalola Falls State Park was not developed at all until 1958. The Appalachian Trail began on Oglethorpe Mountain near Jasper in 1937. By the early 1950's the trail had been intersected by roads and commercial development, specifically high-volume chicken houses, were destroying the last few miles of the hike.

[Image: k5WyPg3.jpg?1]

In 1956 the Appalachian Trail Club in Harper's Ferry decided to reroute the trail to Springer Mountain, and the state of Georgia agreed to build a long-term parking area for hikers at Amicalola Falls State Park. An 8.5-mile-long trail was blazed from the base of Amicalola Falls to the top of Springer Mountain, so that Appalachian Trail hikers would be able to access the trail from a major highway.

[Image: rKCjONq.jpg?1]

Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge has four groups of trails within it, including the trail leading up to the top of the waterfall. The park has a full-time staff of park rangers, and has a lodge that serves as a starting point of Appalachian Trail hikers. The park also owns a nearby facility called the Len Foote Hike Inn, a backcountry eco-friendly inn that is one mile from the Appalachian Approach trail and 4.4 miles from Springer Mountain.

[Image: b0tdnSX.png?1]

In 2012, Amicalola Falls State Park was privatized and its operations transferred to Coral Hospitality, a Florida-based hotel and resort management company.

[Image: gQKlDbU.jpg?1]

Now for a visit ……after a quick stop at Burt's Pumpkin Farm, it's across Georgia State Road 52 to the well marked entrance to Amicalola Falls State Park.

[Image: g8CJKDs.jpg?1]

An entrance fee is required, but the park is well worth the small amount. The road splits just before the visitor center. Journey to the left to get to the top of the falls and the lodge, or continue straight ahead for the visitor center and the Base of the Falls Trail. We turn left on the Amicalola Falls Lodge Road which begins climbing immediately and a steep mile later the upper falls parking is to the right. The road follows the ridge line past this parking to the 57-room Amicalola Lodge. When the lodge was built quite a furor erupted over what critics called "the intrusive nature of the building". We stopped and walked the interpretive path along the ridge top south of the lodge. An easy hike, the trail is signed and lit at night, and it affords great views of the cove below and the Amicalola Watershed beneath the falls.

[Image: VVJeQoq.jpg?1]

Between the lodge and the falls, stone steps rise from the road. This is the start of the Southern Terminus Approach Trail. Parking on the west side of the falls is limited, however, an expansive overflow parking area is available on the east side. The area here has been repeatedly racked by weather over the last five years including an unnamed rainstorm, a blizzard commonly called the Storm of the Century, and Hurricane Opal. Much of the upper observation deck and path have been rebuilt because of the storms. The deck crosses the creek, jutting out over the dramatic drop in the falls.

[Image: es7RRjQ.jpg?1] [Image: UYrUDMp.jpg?1]
Skinny and Fat flows.

Returning down the mountain, turn left at the end of the road to continue to the Base of the Falls Trail. Limited parking is available at the trailhead (at the visitors center), but parking along the road to the base augments it. The path continues to the reflection pool and winds up the cove to the observation deck at the top of the falls, although the path requires a good deal of step climbing. The path is paved in the area of the falls and is moderate.

[Image: R0APc0A.jpg?1]

The Visitors Center was remodeled and expanded in the 1990's. Scales are provided so backpackers can check the weight of packs before they begin the trek to the top of Springer. Additional trails are available, including the Base of the Falls Trail previously mentioned and the East and West Ridge Trails. These wind their way up the ridges, the East trail climbing to the top of the falls, the West Ridge Trail climbing to a spring near Amicalola Lodge Road and the parking lot halfway up the mountain.

[Image: YR1qV66.jpg?1]
They could use some stairs like this at Cochrans Falls.

From the deck at the top of the waterfalls, the foothills of the Southern Appalachian Mountains spread across much of the view, which is exceptional in the fall.

[Image: xGaKn2m.jpg?1] [Image: brCOjbn.jpg?1]

Hardwoods dominate the local forest. The river forms the Amicalola River and Watershed, which drains into the Etowah River further south. This is the Dawson Forest, make sure you have a fishing, hunting, or recreational license. The Edge of the World Rapids is down the Amicalola River 300 yards below Hwy. 53. GNW #38

[Image: N2mASbl.jpg?1]

The Devil’s Elbow is upstream on the Amicalola River complete with a natural beach and rope swing cove. From the Hwy. 53 bridge go back toward Tate and take first right Amicalola Church Road. Then right on Steel Bridge Road back to river. Two of my favorite spots in Georgia.

[Image: sJdgTjE.jpg?1]

Well as long as we are in the area, may as well visit the second highest waterfall in Georgia. With a total vertical drop of 600 feet, Cochrans Falls GNW #101 is the second tallest waterfall in Georgia. This cascading waterfall is located in Dawson County, northwest of Dawsonville, Georgia and is in the vicinity of the tallest waterfall in the state, Amicalola Falls. The largest drop is near the top of Cochrans Falls and is accessible by a treacherous trail that ascends the right side of the falls.

[Image: UhdFZEN.jpg?1]

Directions: Go east on GA 52 from the entrance to Amicalola State Park to the first entrance to Wesley Chapel Rd just inside Dawson County. Turn left on Wesley Chapel Rd. go 1.2 miles and Turn left on Dan Fowler Road. Turn left on Blackhawk Road and ford the creek within a few yards. The road parallels a field for the first 100 yards or so before reaching a fork. Take the left fork and ford Cochrans Creek twice in the next 0.6 miles. Continue on this road until you decide to park and walk. There is a majestic primitive campground right there. You'll need a truck or SUV to get past the two creeks before the trail. There's another creek right at the beginning of the hike so you will start off with wet shoes!

[Image: pAhokFl.jpg?1]

Cochrans Creek Falls is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Amicalola, Georgia that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The first two miles you're going to wonder why it's classified as "hard." This hike will take you to the base of the falls. The hardest part is climbing over the huge trees that have fallen across the trail. From the base to the very top of the waterfall is where it gets the most tricky. You really are climbing/scrambling and the trail can be pretty wet and muddy adding to the difficulty. We hadn't realized it at first, but the trail is marked with ORANGE THUMBTACKS. These little suckers will be your best friend. Great hike, but pictures will not do it justice.

[Image: 43diI59.jpg?1]

I got to admit I failed on this hike to reach the objective. Even my dog gave up. On my list of redo’s. This may be too much for you old farts. I'm gonna add a disclaimer, hike at your own risk.

[Image: Smghkh6.jpg?1]

Today's GNW gal at the falls.
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]