Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #21 - Jacks River Falls Trail. 927
Georgia Natural Wonder #21 - Jacks River Falls Trail

I went to these falls years ago, but I cheated and went the Beech Bottom Trail. I always wanted to do this full trail along Jacks River. These descriptions and images found really look cool. We haven’t been to the Cohutta Wilderness yet and we are in the 20’s on these Natural Wonders so check this out people. My photo of falls and family.

[Image: rRHbMsO.jpg?1]

Most of this post is from firsthand accounts from the Internet, it’s not me getting all excited. Plus I have done a lot of pasting and cutting from different sites so don’t take these hike details as gospel. If they seem disjointed, I am. Get your sources before getting this far into the woods. Follow the river and the blue blazes.

[Image: 1JTSpwX.jpg?1]
More TRD photo’s.

The open rocky area and the impressive 80-foot drop are some of the best waterfall views anyone could wish for. In fact, winter is one of the best times to hear the roar of Jacks River Falls. The best thing about the Falls is that it's only a 2 ½ hour drive north from Atlanta. In fact, the Cohutta Mountains themselves are some of the oldest mountains on the planet. The Wilderness Area is a total of 35,268 acres and is the largest wilderness area in Northern Georgia. There are over 95 miles of trails in the Cohutta Wilderness. Jacks River Falls offers spectacular views, and will create longtime memories as you stand looking at the drop off. Even in the winter, Jacks River Falls features old growth hemlocks and an overlook into Jacks River that you won't soon forget, so it's a great destination year-round.

[Image: XN3niYe.jpg?1]

The Jacks River is a 19.4-mile-long river in the Cohutta Wilderness Area of northwest Georgia, United States. The Jacks River flows into the Conasauga River before the latter crosses over 411 Highway. The Jacks River is accessible by US National Forest Service Roads. The immediate area around Jacks River Falls was closed to camping in March 2003 due to overuse. Other areas along the Jacks River are still open to camping, but there are now restrictions on the number of people allowed to camp per site, the distance between campsites, and others. Watch where you camp, don’t get a ticket. Get a WMA license as described in the Pigeon Mountain post. The crossings are harder near the Jacks River trailhead as it is downriver, so going from Dally Gap would be the easier way to go as you would get progressively more difficult crossings. Went on October during a perfect week so water was waist high at its deepest, but in the areas where the current is fastest, waist deep is plenty high considering how slick the rocks are beneath the water.

[Image: JjBi4a5.jpg?1]

Advice:

1. Take 2 poles if you have them and take the baskets off as they will catch the rocks underneath the water

2. Choose your footwear wisely. I wore Keens and although it made it easy to go in and out of the water they are not the greatest hiking apparel so I ended up with 1 blister (not bad) and a cut around the lower ankle from rubbing. Another person wore Lowa's and just went. Her feet were perfect but I don't know the status of those $230 boots after the hike

3. Choose pants wisely. Very lightweight full legs are fine. You will be wet all the time but warm. Shorts are fine too but you will be cold. Don't try rolling pants up. It's not worth it

4. Be prepared for the cold water. Some crossing take a bit and the water can be painfully cold, especially after a break. You do get used to it but be prepared to tough it out from time to time, and resist the urge to get in a hurry in the water because you are cold. You will go in, get wetter, and colder.

5. Assume you will go in. Maybe you won't but assume you will. So, dry backs are a must with dry clothes if you are spending the night. I dry bagged everything and although I didn't go in, I did get deep enough the the bottom of my pack was wet, so was glad I prepared

6. Pack anything you don't want wet in the top of your pack, especially if you don't dry bag it. Sleeping bags, stoves, phones, etc.

7. When you come to a crossing (42 times) find the trail on the other side BEFORE going into the water. There were only a few times where the trail was hard to find so make the effort. Some are marked with blue on trees but not all. If you miss it and find a false trail, just work yourself in the right direction and you will find it.

8. Watch some you tube videos first of the crossings. It's a blast and will prepare you for the trip

9. DO NOT SKIP THIS TRAIL. If you have the chance to hike it, especially in the fall, please do. I have a lot of miles under my boots and this is one of my favorite trails of all time

[Image: j7AynBg.jpg?1]
Last TRD image. Look at those cascades going far back up river.

Further images are from google. Again, the following narrative is firsthand accounts, not me, from blogs via the Cyber Highway. Thanks to Al Gore.

One of the few true 5 star trails that I have hiked in Georgia. It is the real deal and I was amazed at the stunning river scenery as well as one of the best falls in Georgia. Great camping near the falls and a few ways to day hike in make it an accessible area, but I really do recommend finding a way to do the full point to point, which took us a good day and a half day with one overnight

[Image: HsZX1rs.jpg?2] [Image: WOJxvQC.jpg?2]                     

My favorite for a weekend backpacking trip. I love to take our dogs! The Jacks River Trail stretches over 16 miles through the beautifully rugged and remote Cohutta Wilderness in North Georgia, following its namesake river through a lushly green, waterfall-filled river valley. Nine miles downstream from the Dally Gap trailhead, Jacks River tumbles from a rugged, rocky outcrop, forming the stunning waterfall at Jacks River Falls.

[Image: Buw4BZf.jpg?1]
Party spot for locals               

This hike explores many of the highlights of the Jacks River valley, hiking to rushing waterfalls, splashing through many river crossings, and descending through the river’s rocky valley from Dally Gap. It’s one of our favorite hikes in the Cohutta Wilderness, an 18-mile backpacking adventure to Jacks River Falls and the Tennessee state line beyond. It’s a fantastic summertime adventure; just be sure to pack some dry bags to keep your change of clothes and electronic gear dry. With river crossing after river crossing, you’re bound to get wet.

[Image: SzQWyyB.jpg?1]

The Jacks River trailhead lies tucked into dense greenery 100 miles north of Atlanta. Dozens of glass-clear swimming holes line the 16.3-mile route that drops 1,592 feet from trailhead to terminus, near the Tennessee border. The trail departs from the Dally Gap trailhead in the Cohutta Wilderness, descending southwest through a sun-dappled hardwood and coniferous forest. Old growth hemlock trees tower over the trail, their broad trunks towering into the sky over the surrounding, spindly hardwoods. The forest is lush and green, filled with fern, moss, wildflowers and vibrantly-colored mushrooms in warm-weather months. Starting Point: Follow signs for the Jacks River Trail. Eastern Trailhead. Hike .7 mile southwest to a junction with the Benton MacKaye Trail. The hike passes two intersections with the white-diamond-blazed Benton MacKaye Trail as it descends into the lush, mossy Jacks River Valley.

[Image: d2GiGl5.jpg?1]

The Jacks River Trail crosses a small creek at .9 mile, the first (and by far easiest) of many crossings on this adventure. The sound of water amplifies through the forest as the trail continues its descent toward the confluence of two rivers, Bear Branch and Jacks River. The trail crosses a small Bear Branch tributary creek at 1.4 miles, and a second small tributary at 1.7 miles. Take in the view of dark and dripping Jacks River gorge at an overlook at 1.7 miles. The trail reaches the junction of Bear Branch and Jacks River at 1.9 miles, skirting the banks of the tumbling, spilling river.

[Image: o7JpsuR.jpg?1]

At 2.25 miles, the trail dives straight through the Jacks River to ford its wide, swift current—unclip your hipbelt to slip out of your pack if you go for a swim.Since the trail’s blazes are often faded or hidden behind vegetation, it’s easy to lose the trail at the river crossings. Be sure to pack a waterproof trail map, compass, and/or GPS to help with wayfinding in these remote stretches of the Cohutta Wilderness. And cross the river carefully: slippery, algae-clad rocks fill the river’s bed. (Note: it’s easiest to find the trail on the opposite side of the river before you cross.) And it’s always best to avoid trails along rivers and creeks in the weeks following a heavy rain.

[Image: umgItv9.jpg?1]

The trail meanders, following the river on its western bank before crossing the river again at 2.8 miles. A beautiful waterfall flows just downstream from the crossing. After navigating the river crossing, the trail climbs elevation, climbing through a fracture in a large, weathered rock outcrop.

[Image: Q9MqrvH.jpg?1]

Then the trail descends, following the river through a wide meander, and carves through a sharp switchback. The trail descends to a series of tumbling waterfalls on the river at 3.1 miles. Tree-shaded trail

[Image: TvQbcKf.jpg?1]

Scattered boulders and wide, smooth rock outcrops fill the river’s bed. The river rushes over the rocky, moss-covered landscape in series of tumbling whitewater and small waterfalls.

[Image: ANrrH3o.jpg?1]

The trail crosses an open rock outcrop at 3.35 miles, catching some sunlight and a short-range, rolling mountain view before diving back under the forest’s canopy. The hike passes multi-tiered waterfalls at 3.6 miles before arcing northbound, crossing the river again at 4.1 miles. The gorge’s walls rise sharply on either side of the river valley.

[Image: gNGWZQ5.jpg?1]

The trail arcs westbound, reaching another above falls crossing of Jacks River at 4.6 miles.

[Image: gKwBZWm.jpg?1]

At mile 6.8, veer left at the junction with Penitentiary Branch Trail. An old railroad bed makes the trail appear to head straight at mile 7.4: Stay left on the JRT. Splash through another creek and climb up the bank to the Rough Ridge Trail junction. Turn right, and—surprise!—traverse another small creek.

[Image: 5YmFXea.jpg?1]

Cross Jacks River at mile 8, then stay straight at the Hickory Ridge junction. Hike about a half of a mile to 80-foot, two-tiered Jacks River Falls, passing Beech Bottom Trail on the way. Note: slippery rocks and fast moving water can be extremely dangerous! Please don’t climb, stand on, swim near, or jump from any waterfall. There was evidently one hellacious swimming hole above the falls I totally missed.

[Image: C5cPYa0.jpg?1]

You explore around and gaze upon the enormous, tumbling cascades of Jacks River Falls, located 9.2 miles downstream from the Dally Gap trail head. For the easiest access to this towering waterfall, hike to Jacks River Falls on the Beech Bottom Trail, a moderate hike that bypasses the Jacks River Trail’s many river crossings.

[Image: 3pXYj0Q.jpg?1]
This picture shows relationship of swimming hole to big (deadly) falls below.

Roughly a mile past the falls, bear right at the junction with Rice Camp Trail and camp in the flat section ahead to end this 9.9-mile day.

[Image: v85GqzI.jpg?1]

The least-used portion of the trail is from Alaculsy to Jacks River Falls. In the middle of Horseshoe Bend are several beautiful spots to camp.

[Image: QzXT2R5.jpg?1]

When you start going down river from Jack's River Falls it is about 7 miles to the Jack's River terminus. You travel down the Alaculsy Valley and you will have 22 river crossings before you reach the end. They get bigger and deeper each time. I want to say there are somewhere around 42 river crossings total on this trail and the water will be up to waist and chest deep in places. Also, the trail is not marked that well in some spots and you will have to cross the river and wade upstream to find it at times, especially at crossings 4 and 6 below the falls. It makes for an even better adventure!

[Image: QGqgh4w.jpg?1]

Next day: Tackle a tricky crossing at mile 10.9. Look for an island near where the trail meets the river and ford Jacks, hugging the downstream tip of the island. Off course? Look for the blue trail marker on the opposite shore and scramble up the bank. If you want to extend your stay, pitch your tent here on an old railroad grade in a pocket of trees at mile 13.6. From here, it's 2.7 miles to the trailhead along the north of the river. Before shuttling your car, go jump over the state line into Tennessee. Why not? It's only at the end of the parking lot.

[Image: h1nHdsT.jpg?1]
TRD has familiarity with both the Tennessee and Georgia Law enforcement communities.

Somebody has gone to great detail with a GPS, so maybe you can take this information and rock (hop). Strap on some river sandals and socks. Two hiking sticks.

Waypoints

JCK001 - Location: 34.93343, -84.518845 - Starting Point: Follow signs for the Jacks River Trail.

JCK002 - Location: 34.924831, -84.524048 - Go straight @ 3-way junction. The Benton MacKaye Trail shoots off to the right.

JCK003 - Location: 34.924164, -84.5243 - Continue straight @ 3-way junction. Another junction of the Benton MacKaye Trail heads left.

JCK004 - Location: 34.92347, -84.525871 -The trail crosses a seasonal spring, the first of many on the trip. Many campsites ahead.

JCK005 - Location: 34.919508, -84.533722 - The trail passes an overlook: This is the first good view of the creek.

JCK006 - Location: 34.917995, -84.539237 - Pass a campsite well-suited to large groups (fire ring and nice rapids in river).

JCK007 - Location: 34.920088, -84.541597 - First significant river ford. Be advised: After heavy rainfall, these crossings become more complicated and can be dangerous.

[Image: MslKhEq.jpg?1]

JCK008 - Location: 34.924997, -84.543668 - The trail cuts downhill on a hard right.

JCK009 - Location: 34.926018, -84.542584 - The trail heads up and away from the river, and then re-routes down some switchbacks to avoid a damaged area of the trail. Good views back down to the river.

JCK010 - Location: 34.935605, -84.543325 - The trail bears left in front of a campsite near an old railroad buttress.

JCK011 - Location: 34.957002, -84.551371 - Go left @ T-intersection. On the right is Penitentiary Branch Trail, a good escape route if water levels rise.

JCK012 - Location: 34.963245, -84.555566 - Go left at 3-way junction up a long hill. This intersection is tricky as the trail appears to head straight along an old railroad bed.

JCK013 - Location: 34.964291, -84.558431 - Go right @ T-intersection just after crossing a small creek and climbing up a small embankment. The Rough Ridge Trail heads up here from here, another emergency exit route in high water conditions.

[Image: 64AukK5.jpg?1]
Climbing up the small embankment at the Junction Jacks River Trail and Rough Ridge Trail.

JCK014 - Location: 34.968423, -84.563828 - Just before a river crossing, 8 to 10 old railroad ties remain from a set of old RR tracks.

JCK015 - Location: 34.968458, -84.5643 - Jacks River crossing. Note: This crossing marks the no-camping zone for the Jacks River Falls Area. Overnight camping is prohibited for the next 1.8 miles of trail. Note: Camping is permitted at designated campsites in the Beech Bottom area from November 1 thru March 31.

JCK016 - Location: 34.968968, -84.565705 - Go straight at 3-way junction next to a campsite. The Hickory Ridge Trail heads left.

JCK017 - Location: 34.969364, -84.565995 - Continue straight @ 3-way junction past the Beech Bottom Trail (another emergency exit option).

JCK018 - Location: 34.97195, -84.572533 - Jacks River Falls: This two-tiered fall drops 80 feet, and offers incredible views in the Cohutta Wilderness.

[Image: 6OZEusv.jpg?1]

JCK019 - Location: 34.971676, -84.584223 - The restricted camping area ends roughly 1 mile below Jacks River Falls.

JCK020 - Location: 34.971588, -84.585242 - Go right @ 3-way junction. The Rice Camp Trail heads uphill to the left. Ahead: Find a designated campsite to set up camp.

JCK021 - Location: 34.969355, -84.592452 - Here the trail encounters one of the trickier crossings on this hike across an island in the middle of the river. To cross, follow the right side of the river 100 yards down stream to cross the island at its end (do not attempt cross the island in the middle). Look for the blue rectangle blaze and the trail on the opposite shore.

JCK022 - Location: 34.981856, -84.60288 - After crossing the river, follow the trail as it climbs up the riverbank and go right @ the 3-way junction. To the left a small campsite is perched on an old railroad bed.

JCK023 - Location: 34.981751, -84.608781 - After this last river crossing, the remaining 2 miles follow an old railroad bed on the north side of the river. No campsites from here to the ending point.

JCK024 - Location: 34.988415, -84.632813 - End point: Before you pick up the shuttle car, walk into Tennessee, the state line is to the right of the parking lot.

[Image: jrzlTTw.jpg?1]

There is evidently a jumping rock below the falls I missed.

[Image: QsweW7G.jpg?1]

Whole lot of jumping rocks.

[Image: HD28zmE.jpg?1]

Leap of faith not for me.

[Image: Kao7MBT.jpg?1]

Here are some other GPS points of interest and information along the hike.

Above Jacks River Falls - Location: 34.971536, -84.572775

Eastern Trailhead - Location: 34.933441, -84.518638

Tree-shaded trail - Location: 34.923115, -84.525933

First view of the river - Location: 34.921232, -84.526255

A head-scratching root system - Location: 34.920141, -84.528551

[Image: Q2U3YXW.jpg?1]

Fallen trees on trail - Location: 34.925015, -84.543518

Typically beautiful rapids - Location: 34.926035, -84.54237

Cascading Rapids - Location: 34.933283, -84.547884

The trail along the river - Location: 34.937084, -84.546463

[Image: FdGSyYQ.jpg?1]

Twilight Calm - Location: 34.944541, -84.5465

Jacks River Falls - Location: 34.97194, -84.572411

[Image: elKq8nR.jpg?1]

Rocks in the water. - Location: 34.971342, -84.583633

A common occurrence...Blue skies on the river - Location: 34.979518, -84.6014

[Image: 6dSk6lI.jpg?1]

Western Trailhead - Location: 34.988414, -84.632621 - The Tennessee-Georgia state line is just to the left.

There were several downed trees when we went last week, so be prepared to climb over and under and get wet. There are a lot of great camp sites and fishing/swimming holes as well. I LOVE this trail.

Whew, well the authors of those Internet sites have me riled up. Those photos of the swimming hole I missed, dang it.

[Image: I5pfE2M.jpg?1]

Grand time in Cohutta Wilderness deserves a top 25 ranking as Georgia Natural Wonder.

[Image: u47XBQO.jpg?1]

Never been this full trail, but the Cohutta Wilderness will be explored many times on my Natural Wonders list as we continue this cyber adventure in our great home state.

Directions: Google Directions

Now you either need two cars or a shuttle. You take the first car to the northwestern trailhead in Alaculsy Valley: From the GA 52-US 411 intersection in Chatsworth, travel US 411 orth about 13.5 miles, past Eton towards Tennga, to the community of Cisco. In Cisco turn right onto the paved road immediately before Cisco Baptist Church. This road is known as Old Highway 2, also called FS 16. Continue on FS 16 following the pavement until it ends, stay right at the fork, continue pass Hopewell Church, cross Conasauga River, stay on FS where FS 51 veers right. Coss the suspension bridge over Jacks River into Tennessee, the parking lot is to the right.

You take the second car to the southeastern trailhead at Daly Gap: From US 76-GA 5 intersection north of Blue Ridge, travel north on GA 5 towards McCaysville for 3.7 miles. Turn left onto Old GA 2, continue for 10.5 miles (pavement ends a 9 miles) to FS intersection at Watson Gap, make hard right onto FS 22 for 3.6 miles to trailhead at Dally Gap.

[Image: fN5j5xB.jpg?1]
Our GNW gal sneaks in here.
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]