Forum Jump:

If you’re looking for a good read this dreary January
I highly recommend Ian Toll’s War in the Pacific trilogy. I just finished volume 3 and I learned a lot. Bull Halsey almost got relieved of command 3 times (twice for running into typhoons). Adms Nimitz and King held back because he was so popular at home. Also we really had no answer to kamikazes. Brutal war, I am surprised my grandfather survived as a marine. Tarawa, Saipan. Tininian. Iwo Jima. Okinawa. Man had a lot of luck…
Toll's a good writer. Spruance was a better Admiral than Halsey, but didn't have the nickname or bombast, imho.
That's crazy Corners.   My Gran was at Guadalcanal, the Marshall Islands, and Okinawa.
Sounds good, will have to check it out.. Thanks.
My (step) Grandad had the puckered scars up his body from landing and a Japanese machine gun stitching up his left side. He said his entire platoon died that day. He said it was the last big island before Japan.
My grandfather was injured in Hawaii on the way to somewhere in the Pacific theatre.  Fell off a truck, broke his leg, and was in the hospital for a month or so, and then shipped back to Thomaston, GA…but, not before he traded two cartons of cigarettes and a case of beer for a german officers luger and leather holster similar to the one below, though it is in much better shape than the example.

[Image: 167850168_1_x.jpg?quality=80&version=1702913917]

[Image: 258s.jpg]

[Image: rfl_4919.jpg]