Forum Jump:

Georgia Natural Wonder #90 – Lula Lake Land Trust. 667
Georgia Natural Wonder #90 – Lula Lake Land Trust

As per our first 100 summary post last Friday, we reshuffled our top 100 Georgia Natural Wonders and we are actually on GNW #90 after thinning out the strictly history post. Several have made recommendations and this spot certainly belongs higher on the list but I could not find my personal photos on my visits there and it's the only way I can justify delaying a listing of this spot. If you are coming to Chattanooga, try to schedule a visit here, especially if you have never been. If you are handicapped, they will let you drive right up to the top of the upper falls. Lula Lake Land Trust is a privately owned property in Northwest Georgia dedicated to preserving the Rock Creek watershed since 1994. It is home to over eight miles of trails filled with waterfalls, overlooks, and beautiful hardwood forests. This popular hike follows the Middle Trail, Ford Trail, and North Creek Trail, crossing a tall wooden bridge, exploring scenic stretches along Rock Creek, and visiting two tumbling waterfalls.

[Image: rbZdmOa.jpg?2]

Since it is a private property and is largely maintained by volunteers, the land trust is only open to the public on the first and last Saturday and Sunday of each month (May-November), and the first and last Saturday of each month (December-April). Please check the official website before you go to make sure the gates will be open and to get directions. All visitors must check-in to the land trust and sign a waiver to enjoy all of the beauty that the land trust has to offer.

Lula Lake Land Trust: The Hike

This hike leaves from the first parking area closest to the check-in area, and follows above and along Rock Creek until it reaches the falls. The hike begins southbound, crossing a stone and wooden bridge across Rock Creek and beginning the northeast-bound climb up the Middle Trail.

[Image: XEFnc4z.jpg?1]

The hike is moderately steep for the first 0.2 mile, and then it flattens out as it explores a hardwood forest above the creek. Hemlocks, poplars, and pines line the trail. At .6 mile, the Middle Trail intersects with the Ford Trail. The Ford Trail descends towards the creek as the Middle Trail continues to rise through the valley. While both routes offer roughly the same distance to the enormous waterfall, the Ford Trail connects to the North Creek Trail, which runs along some scenic sections of the river and also visits the falls at Lula Lake.

[Image: aVq3HEc.jpg?1]

This hike veers left on the Ford Trail, following it eastbound, and then right on the North Creek Trail, hiking northbound. The trail opens up to a bridge over a turbulent section of the creek, before the rushing water drops over a 20-foot waterfall into a beautiful emerald-colored pool below.

[Image: l70OFtK.jpg?1]

A unique sandstone dome rises 35 feet over the pool, which beautifully captures the reflections of the ripples of the water in the morning hours.

[Image: Ml4YRn0.jpg?1]

Above the east side of the pool, the trail widens into a dirt road and continues downstream for another 0.3 miles before reaching some viewpoints of Lula Falls.The kids were jumping off the cliff into lake one time when I was there.

[Image: 7IodGi8.jpg?1]

TRD selfie while jumping. [0]pc

[Image: jAZWJCO.jpg?1]

It really hangs over.

[Image: Nkkl4XQ.jpg?1]

Civil War photos.

[Image: UNiQ6vg.jpg?1] [Image: uCg03HL.jpg?1]

All this is grand but the main attraction is yet to come. There are several ways to access and appreciate the lower, more epic 120-foot falls. To descend to the gorge floor, follow the Old Lula Falls Trail on the left, or the Lula Falls Trail another 0.1 mile further.

[Image: SKf0ghF.jpg?2]

Right on the edge.

[Image: Wge2n2J.jpg?1]

Both access points are quite steep with a lot of stairs.

[Image: YqZIERC.jpg?1]

The bottom of the gorge delivers incredible views of the waterfall that really put the power of the plunging water into perspective.

[Image: V8neqgf.jpg?1]

From the gorge floor, the trail gets very vague, but this is an opportunity to climb some boulders, explore around, or have a snack.

[Image: 0otSmiX.jpg?1]

Because of its volume and height, the waterfall spits out a ton of mist through the valley. The closer you get to the waterfall, the wetter everything becomes and the slipperier the surfaces are.

[Image: ZbMd7nh.jpg?1]

If you choose to get up close to the falls, be sure to take extra caution with each step.

[Image: gKKcL3r.jpg?1]

[Image: ZZ72Nhm.jpg?1]
Civil War image lower falls.

There are a number of return routes to the parking area – but retracing the outbound path will take you southbound along the creek on the North Creek Trail, up the valley on the Ford Trail, and back down to the wood and stone bridge on the Middle Trail.

[Image: aDoPaHO.jpg?1]

The hike reaches the trail head at just over 3 miles, completing the adventure.

[Image: UTlhsuK.jpg?1]

A TRD addendum to today’s GNW. We have already visited Lookout Mountain a few times on our GNW trips, Cloudland Canyon GNW #10, Rock City GNW #22, Zahnd Tract GNW #81 (Newly ranked). Since we are on Lookout Mountain and only miles from Rock City, I want to show some photos of my trip to Lookout Mountain. These are some of the lesser visited wonders of Lookout Mountain. While some of these spots may be in Tennessee, I present my additions to a visit in the area. The State line crosses just north of Rock City.  We know Point Park is in Tennessee, but here are some Tennessee images.

[Image: FQFLCqd.jpg?1]
Overlooking the Bend in the Tennessee River and downtown Chattanooga.

[Image: via1G6a.jpg?1]

Same as they did during Civil War occupation.

[Image: 7o4pSdt.jpg?1] [Image: TeWgiHC.jpg?1] [Image: vayyJNs.jpg?1]

Then just past the Ochs Museum at Point Park, most people have never ventured down the stairs (152) .......

[Image: 8ll9zVW.jpg?1]

to see these Yankee monuments in the cliffs.

[Image: QZkwdsM.jpg?1]

These things are huge, worth finding next time you visit Point Park.

[Image: vcfYkI6.jpg?1]

The Yankees fought up the Mountain but could not get past these cliffs.

[Image: HVwrgs8.jpg?1]

Images of them hunkered down at the base of the cliffs of Point Park on the massive bronze plates.

Then there was the Natural Bridge atop Lookout Mountain.

[Image: nHLg1CG.jpg?1]

Cool little spot.

[Image: VyUR08V.jpg?1]

Picnic table for lunch and sneaking away from crowds.

[Image: WV0MOQZ.jpg?1]

Then you got the Sunset Overlook and other spots as you drive around Lookout Mountain.

[Image: TmC8WF7.jpg?1]
Approaching the Sunset Cliff.

[Image: 58a2Nre.jpg?1] [Image: ETivvfy.jpg?1]
Stay Hendrix Stay.

[Image: LOkjCt3.jpg?1]

There is a reason it is called Lookout Mountain.

[Image: uRIGlje.jpg?1]

There are a lot of Lookouts.

[Image: 9o8oBSS.jpg?1]

I was on a roll with the panoramic maker that day.

[Image: RIsykXn.jpg?1]

Yep Lookout Mountain is a great Natural Wonder of Georgia, only the tip is in Tennessee.

[Image: hwUSHY7.jpg?1]

Our GNW gals today really are from the wonder of the day. Are there any HOTD age requirements on these GNW gals?

[Image: 7eB4vIi.jpg?1]
[Image: iOvLDN1.jpg?1] [Image: 1VWtPlw.jpg?1] [Image: CK0zHIu.jpg] [Image: yTj6tPw.jpg?1] [Image: Nhc7kqD.jpg?1] [Image: J3gH23f.jpg?1] 
[Image: XL6hRLC.jpg?1] [Image: 5sF0KCy.jpg] [Image: Krtkq7L.jpg?2] [Image: zhgbCrH.jpg?1]